Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Can you glue diamonds in pearls?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default Can you glue diamonds in pearls?

    I often see contemporary designers setting diamonds on other gems like pearls, opals, agates etc... some of the diamonds are bezel set before setting in the other gems. But some are just “sitting” there. Like the picture below. Are they glued on? I can’t think of any other options to create this “flush” effect.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Surbiton
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I would suggest glued in.... if you do not see metal in... or I can imagine another way out if you take drillled thru bead and you use 1 diam drill on one side (smaller ones) and bigger diameter on the other side half way enough to pull gem thru... then stick pin from earring and glue it in..... well that's me imagining _)))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    7,439

    Default

    Seems a bit of a waste to glue in a diamond, as it would loose lot of its sparkle. After all that's what you are paying for.
    If I were doing it, I would use foil backed chatons, which are unaffected by glue. Dennis.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Seems a bit of a waste to glue in a diamond, as it would loose lot of its sparkle. After all that's what you are paying for.
    If I were doing it, I would use foil backed chatons, which are unaffected by glue. Dennis.
    Yea if they’re 2mm melees I see the point of gluing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,405

    Default

    She might have tube set them and drilled the pearl right through. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the designer how she made these commission pieces

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    849

    Default

    The pearls are really low grade, so I am at a loss to understand why someone would set pearls worth ...well, probably 10p each... in white gold with diamonds. The pearls are full drilled and the stones have been glued in to hide that fact
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk
    @pearlescenceltd
    instagram: pearlescenceltd1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    She might have tube set them and drilled the pearl right through. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the designer how she made these commission pieces
    I did ask her. She wouldn’t reply


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    The pearls are really low grade, so I am at a loss to understand why someone would set pearls worth ...well, probably 10p each... in white gold with diamonds. The pearls are full drilled and the stones have been glued in to hide that fact
    I think this is so far the most accurate answer


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyDiamond View Post
    I did ask her. She wouldn’t reply


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not sure I would have either if someone asked for the detail of how I made something

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’m not sure I would have either if someone asked for the detail of how I made something
    Lol I don’t see the harm in sharing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •