Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Piercing - advice help please.

Hi Karen,
    I have not seen how you pierce,so forgive me if I am telling you something you already know. When I am piercing sharp internal angles, like those on your horse tail, I will first pierce into the shape right up to the inner point, then I retract the saw blade and return the blade in reverse so that I can pierce out from the narrow inner point along the other side of the design, this means that I didn't need to turn the saw blade at the point thus creating a sharper inner point and better piercing.
    This is easier to demonstrate than to explain in words.

James

Polishing - get the just published book by Masterpolisher Stephen Goldsmith
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Karen,
    I have not seen how you pierce,so forgive me if I am telling you something you already know. When I am piercing sharp internal angles, like those on your horse tail, I will first pierce into the shape right up to the inner point, then I retract the saw blade and return the blade in reverse so that I can pierce out from the narrow inner point along the other side of the design, this means that I didn't need to turn the saw blade at the point thus creating a sharper inner point and better piercing.
    This is easier to demonstrate than to explain in words.

James
    Hi James,

Thank you. Not at all, grateful for any tips I can get - I did what I think you are describing on a little sunflower I did recently as was the only way I could see to get in between the petals as they were so close and actually did get a much neater finish, so not sure why I did not follow the same principal here, where I was actually turning the blade or going up the other side to neaten up if couldn't get into the corner. Will do that in future. Thanks,

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Polishing - get the just published book by Masterpolisher Stephen Goldsmith
    Thank you, have just had a quick look and it's affordable too, so will order a copy straight away

You probably know both these things but i thought it would be worth mentioning just in case. I take it you bench pin is flat for sawing and not slanted? Also make sure you are seated low enough infront of your pin. If i lean forward i can rest my chin on my pin. Being low to the pin makes a huge diferance. People also say to look ahead to where you are sawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    You probably know both these things but i thought it would be worth mentioning just in case. I take it you bench pin is flat for sawing and not slanted? Also make sure you are seated low enough infront of your pin. If i lean forward i can rest my chin on my pin. Being low to the pin makes a huge diferance. People also say to look ahead to where you are sawing.
    Hi Sheen,

Thank you. I know about the bench peg, but am a little confused about the height thing, but often wondered if I was a little low. I am definitely higher than you have suggested though, however on reading through some threads on the forum I had thought maybe I was a little too low as read a thread where I thought (but may have misinterpreted or just plain read wrong) where James said it was important to look down on your work so you could see where you were cutting. Wondering if I have just read that wrong though!

I would go with james' description. He's the expert. maybe he can talk a bit more about this if he's about

Thanks, Will see if I can find the thread again and re read as may have made a mistake

Just had a look, and what he actually said was that one of the most important things was that the bench peg was fitted at the right height so you can see what you are piercing, I obviously interpreted that as needing to see more from above but that's not actually what he said!
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 21-03-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    Hi Sheen,

Thank you. I know about the bench peg, but am a little confused about the height thing, but often wondered if I was a little low. I am definitely higher than you have suggested though, however on reading through some threads on the forum I had thought maybe I was a little too low as read a thread where I thought (but may have misinterpreted or just plain read wrong) where James said it was important to look down on your work so you could see where you were cutting. Wondering if I have just read that wrong though!
    I always find it better to be on the same level. I lower my chair right down. I think it helps with tensions in your body too.
    Looking ahead of your work always helps as well. Might also look into some of these little files mentioned. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    I always find it better to be on the same level. I lower my chair right down. I think it helps with tensions in your body too.
    Looking ahead of your work always helps as well. Might also look into some of these little files mentioned. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I will definitely give being lower a go, it feels a bit counter intuitive, like I won't be able to see what I am doing properly but will certainly try. Thanks everyone for all the tips. Might give the same horse another go to see by comparison