Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piercing - advice help please.

Default Piercing - advice help please.

Hi,

I have been doing piercing for some time so it's not just about practice - have put a picture of a recent piece. It's about 1.5cm x 3cm and 1mm thick. I don't know if I am using the wrong blade size (using 8/0) as getting into tiny corners, or my technique is wrong or combination or anything else. I think lighting is an issue as things are definitely worse since working in a darker room but working on sorting that with light recommendations given here.

I always need to spend quite a bit of time finishing up and not sure the best way to do that as my lines are wobbly as you can see. Have added a picture after finishing cutting and then after using emery paper and a little filing and polishing, though couldn't to much filing as there wasn't really room and obviously still room for improvement. So want to get the initial cut more accurate if possible and not sure what I am doing wrong. Sometimes I have cleaner lines than others.

I also don't know the best way to finish - I can't get into all the little areas well and don't know how to get a nice even high polish on those little crevices, can you?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Karen

Sorry, not sure why pics went side on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0425.jpg   PICT0427.jpg  
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 20-03-2019 at 11:47 AM.

I am not a expert on piercing, still very much a beginner, "it's not just about practice" to that I would say practice makes perfect, getting into tiny corners is always a challenge,
    My hands are not as steady as they used to be so I often need to spend more time in the clean up phase adjusting wobbly lines with tiny escapement files and just emery paper.
    The white nylon brushes charged with Tripoli for you flexshaft are a good way to start the polishing as they are more aggressive than cotton or wool buffs

Hi Karen, first I would suggest that for 1mm. thick silver I would use size 2/0 blades, not 8/0, and for finishing the inner point areas I would use some small needle files that are ground to give knife sharp cuts. I use small Barrette and Crossing files that I grind to create knife sharp edges that are perfect for finishing off any sharp inner pierced corners. Or you can sometimes use smaller piercing saw blades to tidy up any deep inner corners if a file is not possible.

James

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I am not a expert on piercing, still very much a beginner, "it's not just about practice" to that I would say practice makes perfect, getting into tiny corners is always a challenge,
    My hands are not as steady as they used to be so I often need to spend more time in the clean up phase adjusting wobbly lines with tiny escapement files and just emery paper.
    The white nylon brushes charged with Tripoli for you flexshaft are a good way to start the polishing as they are more aggressive than cotton or wool buffs
    Thanks for your reply, When I said it's not just about practice, what I meant was I've had lots of practice at piercing so it is more than that, of course the more you do the better you get or that should be the case, but actually that's not working for me, so think there is more to it than that. Actually my lines are more wobbly than they used to be. I actually have hand tremors but oddly holding the saw steadies them a little, so can't really use that as an excuse for this particular exercise, but does bring it's challenges in other areas. I'll certainly be keeping up the practice though as really enjoy piercing. Good to know that emery paper is the way to go for that bit of clean up
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 20-03-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Karen, first I would suggest that for 1mm. thick silver I would use size 2/0 blades, not 8/0, and for finishing the inner point areas I would use some small needle files that are ground to give knife sharp cuts. I use small Barrette and Crossing files that I grind to create knife sharp edges that are perfect for finishing off any sharp inner pierced corners. Or you can sometimes use smaller piercing saw blades to tidy up any deep inner corners if a file is not possible.

James
    Hi James,

I wondered about the blades, will try as you suggest. Will try and see if I can get some smaller needle files. Sorry if this is a daft question but how would one go about grinding them down. Is there something I can attach to my dremel that would do the trick. Thanks very much.

I just bought myself a vallorbe 16cm knife edge needle file cut 4 for getting into tight corners. It's much more pointed than a bog standard make of file. There was also an esapement file which was even finer but i didn't think i needed to go that far.

Hi Sheen,

Thanks, that's really useful to know, was it from Cooksons? I might get one and see how I go and get the other if needed, as do quite a lot of pieces that are tough to get into on angles and corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    Hi Sheen,

Thanks, that's really useful to know, was it from Cooksons? I might get one and see how I go and get the other if needed, as do quite a lot of pieces that are tough to get into on angles and corners.
    Yes. The escapement files are usually used by watchmakers i think, they are very fine and can break if used to enthusiastically. I've never used one myself.

Before buying any more equipment, remember that you already have the smallest files available: your saw blades used in reverse.
    Choose a suitable size and reverse it in your frame. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Before buying any more equipment, remember that you already have the smallest files available: your saw blades used in reverse.
    Choose a suitable size and reverse it in your frame. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,

That's a really useful tip, thank you.