Thread: magic 50 engraving machine

Default magic 50 engraving machine

Hi - has any one here used the Magic 50 engraving machine from Cooksons?

I am wondering whether you can get a fairly deep engraving with this - deep enough to apply a darkening ink?

I guess no-one has this machine then? What about the Magic 5 - is that an older machine, comparable to the 50? Does anyone have experience of either a Magic machine or a Gravograph M20. I am trying to decide which one might be best.

About all I can answer on that is that it doesn't take a deep cut to hold etching ink. Diamond drag engraving is a little shallow, but it works; anything hand-cut works well and is used by a fair few engravers on bulino work (partly because it's a pig to photograph otherwise).

Hi Rachdee, the Magic50 is an excellent engraver able to work on flat items, rings and bangles both inside and outside, as to deep engraving you would require a rotary cutter to chase out the design to the required depth. The rotary cutter will give you cleaner edges too. The Magic50 is a drag machine, diamond tip dragged over workpiece, MagicF30 or Magic70 are engraving and cutting machines.