Thread: cleaning shot

Default cleaning shot

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, because I am hoping for your help.

Does anybody know how I can get grease/oil off new (stainless steel) - shot most efficiently (the protective layer it came with)? It is the Cooksons one.

I had it in the barrel with barreling compound and fairy liquid for two hours before using it the first time plus I have used it various times since the shot is new but it still comes out looking matte and it seems it has caught some of this oil. When I handpolish the items a little afterwards it quickly comes off but it used to be shiny without this. I am assuming it's the grease from the shot, I also bought the barrel quite recently (a cheap no name acrylic one from ebay, I have to admit but it didn't look oily).

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

silverbee

Have you tried tumbling the shot in flat coke? Had read somewhere it was a good thing to do with a new tumbler and shot so used it when I got mine. Rinsed thoroughly after. Don't know if it helped but everything comes out shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Have you tried tumbling the shot in flat coke? Had read somewhere it was a good thing to do with a new tumbler and shot so used it when I got mine. Rinsed thoroughly after. Don't know if it helped but everything comes out shiny.
    Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. That sounds like a good idea, I'll try that. I know you can clean greasy kitchen extractor filters with coke, so makes sense.
    Thanks again!

Hi Silverbee,

There are two things here. As its a new barrel, you need to run your barrel with barrelling soap for at least a couple of hours, then chuck the water and do it again. I did the same when I had my new tumbler. Then you need to clean your shot, again with barrelling soap for a couple of hours. I personally wouldn't use washing up liquid to do this, or coke, but that's up to you.

good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Silverbee,

There are two things here. As its a new barrel, you need to run your barrel with barrelling soap for at least a couple of hours, then chuck the water and do it again. I did the same when I had my new tumbler. Then you need to clean your shot, again with barrelling soap for a couple of hours. I personally wouldn't use washing up liquid to do this, or coke, but that's up to you.

good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    Hi Jules,
    Thanks for getting back. (I have not tried the coke yet as I never have that stuff in stock but despite its degreasing properties I am wondering would it work on mineral oil too, this is not just kitchen fat.)
    I have cleaned the new barrel for a couple of hours with barrel brite and then the shot too without silver in first. It's better but still not totally gone. It might be some residue from the new barrel rather than the shot, who knows....?
    I'll just do the whole cleaning process again now and see whether that makes a difference. Maybe there was more oil in than normally....

Thanks again!