Thread: Patinas: swellegant, vintaj, gilders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Patinas: swellegant, vintaj, gilders

Just bought a swellegant patina and dye oxide, and a vintaj patina to try. Decided against the gilders paste. Was interested in how they might be a more home friendly option for colouring metal. Anyone else try premade patina's. What did you think of them? I'll have a go and let you know how a get on.

Re-cycle used cat litter and salt. Can't get more friendly than that.

That is true, though i don't have a cat suddenly crossed my mind this morning that these bought patinas might not be particularly eco friendly. It's a tricky business.

Eggs! Heat em up, bung em in a box with a tight lid, but not on top of the jewellery and hey presto, you have a patina. It may take a while though...
    Jules

I have a sheet, some eco some not, I like rice and vinegar. Will send it to you.Not very hardy that’s the problem. The bought ones will be quite toxic though, I can only just stand platinol, LoS makes me ill.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I have a sheet, some eco some not, I like rice and vinegar. Will send it to you.Not very hardy that’s the problem. The bought ones will be quite toxic though, I can only just stand platinol, LoS makes me ill.
    I gave my bottle of liver of sulpher gel away to a local jewellery class. I seem to be okay with platinol. I find renaissance wax worse. I haven't tried rice and vinegar. I was interested in the swellegant and vintaj range as they seem to be relatively odour free. Will let you know how a find them. Ps thanks for the sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Eggs! Heat em up, bung em in a box with a tight lid, but not on top of the jewellery and hey presto, you have a patina. It may take a while though...
    Tried the egg technique. It's useful for when you have set stones and pearls that don't like being dipped in patina.