Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patinas: swellegant, vintaj, gilders

Default Patinas: swellegant, vintaj, gilders

Just bought a swellegant patina and dye oxide, and a vintaj patina to try. Decided against the gilders paste. Was interested in how they might be a more home friendly option for colouring metal. Anyone else try premade patina's. What did you think of them? I'll have a go and let you know how a get on.

Re-cycle used cat litter and salt. Can't get more friendly than that.

That is true, though i don't have a cat suddenly crossed my mind this morning that these bought patinas might not be particularly eco friendly. It's a tricky business.

Eggs! Heat em up, bung em in a box with a tight lid, but not on top of the jewellery and hey presto, you have a patina. It may take a while though...
    Jules

I have a sheet, some eco some not, I like rice and vinegar. Will send it to you.Not very hardy that’s the problem. The bought ones will be quite toxic though, I can only just stand platinol, LoS makes me ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Eggs! Heat em up, bung em in a box with a tight lid, but not on top of the jewellery and hey presto, you have a patina. It may take a while though...
    Tried the egg technique. It's useful for when you have set stones and pearls that don't like being dipped in patina.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I have a sheet, some eco some not, I like rice and vinegar. Will send it to you.Not very hardy that’s the problem. The bought ones will be quite toxic though, I can only just stand platinol, LoS makes me ill.
    I gave my bottle of liver of sulpher gel away to a local jewellery class. I seem to be okay with platinol. I find renaissance wax worse. I haven't tried rice and vinegar. I was interested in the swellegant and vintaj range as they seem to be relatively odour free. Will let you know how a find them. Ps thanks for the sheet

I got a taster pack of the Swellegant patinas. I don't think I like them, not for silver nor for copper which I'm playing with a bit more via electroforming. I find them a bit chalky looking once they dry but they might look better with a bit of sealer on top. I like to play with alcohol inks but again sealing them in place isn't something I've really explored yet. My day job keeps getting in the way!

As a side note, but still within the subject of patinas, in the electroforming group I'm in there are a lot of people who swear by a couple of sealants after patina is applied, whether stuff that goes on top like liver of sulphur or flame painting done on copper. They recommend equal parts of Pledge multi surface floor polish, Liquitex matte varnish and distilled water. Apparently (because I haven't tried it yet) applied thinly this concoction is the best sealer ever. Like all sealers it doesn't last forever, particularly on items like rings, but for really colourful flame painting or other patina effects it's the one to try.

Very useful about sealants misspond. No point having a nice effect then it just rubbing off. Good to hear from someone who's tried swellegant. I rather like the chalky look for verdigris but it depends on the effect you're aiming for. I've found that the swellegant darkening is good on bronze, gonna try it on brass and copper next (seems like it might be a good substitute for liver of sulpher, platinol is more grey)