Thread: Making multiple blanks

Default Making multiple blanks

Hiya all,

I'd like to make small batches 3cm by 3cm square (say 5-10) of earrings & pendants so that they are the same size and a consistent shape. I've tried using pliers, hammering with various hammers, sawing a line across the sheet and then folding it, but all the results so far have been inconsistent.

What would be the best way to do this:-

1. A pierced brass template which I can put through the rolling mill, sandwiched between two sheets of silver, to give it some shape?, or
    2. By making a wooden template that I can hammer the silver into ?
    3. Shape some polymorph and then hammer my piece into it?

Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Jules xx
    Last edited by Petal; 14-03-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Missed out a bit
    Jules

Good question, I’d be interested in the answer too. I think it may be pancake dies and a vice, I haven’t used pancake dies yet, but it would seem reasonable, I think. Or maybe silhouette dies if you don’t want it flat, but I think you might need a hydraulic press for that, unless you can use a vice for that too?
    Sue
    Last edited by joella; 14-03-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Hi Sue,

It looks like silhouette dies then, as I don't want them flat, but rounded and sort of art deco'ish. I'll have a go with the vice tomorrow, when I get into the workshop.
    Jules

Hi Jules,
    As already said by Sue, you need to cut your shapes out in perspex, or perspex reinforced with brass (for longer runs), leaving a generous border and a thickness for the metal to bottom out, or not as the case might be.

The metal is forced in with rubber in a press. As urethane tends to squash sideways and is best used in a container, I prefer neoprene pieces of various thicknesses.

Unfortunately you need a generous border for your metal too, so creating waste and the metal needs to be annealed frequently or it will burst. For small items 0.5-0.6mm sheet is about right

My pictures show what can be done, but I am not sure a vice will be strong enough. I think you will want a hydraulic press minimum 10tons. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pressing Out A Dome.jpg   Non-conforming die1.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-03-2019 at 10:43 PM.

I meant to add this further picture, showing the effect of bottoming out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Non-conforming die2.jpg