Thread: Plastic covering on metal

Default Plastic covering on metal

When you guys are sawing shapes or punching circles with a hole punch, do you remove the protective film on your silver or keep it on? Sometimes plastic can blunt your tools can't it?

Don’t know about blunting Sheena but sometimes on small items if I don’t remove it before cutting I have been known to solder with it still attached to one side so remember to take both sides off!

Haha, glad to know I’m not the only one to have done that Caroline - it’s surprisingly easily done isn’t it!

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Haha, glad to know I’m not the only one to have done that Caroline - it’s surprisingly easily done isn’t it!
    Why is there smoke and why is the alarm going off! It’s really easy to forget if you’ve only take one side off for small punches

If the punches are hardened then it certainly will not blunt the tools, saw blades are hard so no worries there, I always remove it, no real technical reason I just do.

Thanks china and caroline soldering with it still attached is just the sort of thing i'd do.