Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking Unfinished Items

Default Hallmarking Unfinished Items

Hi, I've got some finished pieces ready for hallmarking but was thinking of putting some unfinished items in with them, i.e. strips of silver to be made into rings, bangles etc. I realise the unfinished items would be better having a traditional struck mark and the finished ones deep laser but I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum so was thinking of having them all the same either lasered or struck.

Which do you think would be the best option? Just wondering if the laser mark would survive forming/soldering/polishing etc.?

Also if I was adding say a bezel to the unfinished pieces would that have to be sent formed also or could I just send the bezel strip?

Thanks

Really the items should be finished I think not polished but complete and soldered.

We could, back in the day, send complicated pieces in component parts as long as it was obvious how it went together. There is no need to do that now as they mark finished items without damage now.
    I wouldn’t say strips of silver for rings etc are unfinished items they are just strips of metal. In your head they maybe rings and bangles but then you could use them for anything. That have to be a recognisable item
    Last edited by CJ57; 04-03-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks but I'm sure I read on here somewhere that people just send blank strips for bangles or cuffs to be hallmarked. I'm just trying to work out the most cost effective way of doing it as if I have one set lasered and one set struck that's two minimum charges.

I send strips in all the time that are to be made into rings and bangles, I do hope they don't change this as it would create a big cost and time issue for me if they do.
    Mind you a couple of weeks ago they queried it for the first time in 5 years and asked what a length of D shaped gold wire was for so it may be an idea to describe what each piece will be on the form?
    Im with birmingham.
    You do need to have them stamped though as laser doesn't stand up to much.
    Its generally ok to have finished pieces stamped too, if anything they normally only require a quick final polishing.
    Last edited by enigma; 05-03-2019 at 10:10 AM.

I send all mine in finished now even with stones, you rarely know anything has been done but the mark

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I send strips in all the time that are to be made into rings and bangles, I do hope they don't change this as it would create a big cost and time issue for me if they do.
    Mind you a couple of weeks ago they queried it for the first time in 5 years and asked what a length of D shaped gold wire was for so it may be an idea to describe what each piece will be on the form?
    Im with birmingham.
    You do need to have them stamped though as laser doesn't stand up to much.
    Its generally ok to have finished pieces stamped too, if anything they normally only require a quick final polishing.
    Thanks that's good to know. I think having them all struck is probably the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I send all mine in finished now even with stones, you rarely know anything has been done but the mark
    Caroline do you have yours lasered or struck?

It depends. I was doing a lot of domed or hollow pieces and was having them lasered and have got into a bit of a bad habit of not doing a struck mark as I get quite nervous about doing it now. I’ve always kept my own punch but my hands aren’t quite as steady! They can put laser marks in such out of the way places like inside edges that a punch wouldn’t go so I’ve found it quite useful. If they are pieces with heavy wear such as rings then I’d have then struck

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    It depends. I was doing a lot of domed or hollow pieces and was having them lasered and have got into a bit of a bad habit of not doing a struck mark as I get quite nervous about doing it now. I’ve always kept my own punch but my hands aren’t quite as steady! They can put laser marks in such out of the way places like inside edges that a punch wouldn’t go so I’ve found it quite useful. If they are pieces with heavy wear such as rings then I’d have then struck
    Thanks, I think if I was just sending in all finished pieces I'd go with the laser but as some of them are unfinished I'll probably get them all struck and just hope for the best!