Thread: Making a simple st silver wire bangle

Default Making a simple st silver wire bangle

Hi could anyone help me please. I have been making some simple wire bangles usually using 2.5mm or 3mm thick st silver wire. My problem is it takes me ages to get the ends flush enough to solder. I have tried filing with a file, using sandpaper, cutting through the join with my sawblade but this is not easy with a bangle and also using a mitre cutter jig but it still takes me ages to get my ends to meet in order to solder. Any advice would be helpful. Thanku

To file the ends flush, it is easier to rest the wire on your bench peg, invert the file and draw downwards. Then if the wire has been made stiff by bending, it should be possible to over-close the bangle and then open again slightly so that the flush ends spring together.
    Don't worry if it is not very round at that stage, because it can be reshaped after soldering.

One other thing beginners find is that the gap opens on heating. It helps to heat the parts remote from the join first, but also to tie some binding wire across the circle to resist the joint opening. Dennis.

Default St silver wire bangles

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    To file the ends flush, it is easier to rest the wire on your bench peg, invert the file and draw downwards. Then if the wire has been made stiff by bending, it should be possible to over-close the bangle and then open again slightly so that the flush ends spring together.
    Don't worry if it is not very round at that stage, because it can be reshaped after soldering.

One other thing beginners find is that the gap opens on heating. It helps to heat the parts remote from the join first, but also to tie some binding wire across the circle to resist the joint opening. Dennis.
    Thankyou Dennis for your advice I do overclose the bangle like you would with a jump ring but it seems to take me so long to get it to close without a gap so that it will solder. I do get there eventually but it takes me an hour sometimes. I will try your tip with the binding wire. Thankyou

As Dennis said too it’s easier to over close the edges if the bangle is out of shape and you’re not trying to keep it round. Binding wire will help too

Thankyou Caroline. Will give it a try.