Thread: Power issues with crock pot - working on a boat.

Default Power issues with crock pot - working on a boat.

Hi,

Bit of a random one I know but wondered if any of you creative minds might be able to think of a solution. My little set up currently is that my workroom is on my partners boat. This leads to power issues as everything is off battery not mains. Using my polishing machine is not too bad as is for shorter periods of time than the slow cooker which is my main problem. Using my little slow cooker drains the batteries quite a bit which means running the engine and works out rather costly and is a pain in the rear as nothing is fluid. Can't just leave it on while do some soldering pop it in pot then go off and do some polishing and pop it back in again, go off do something else etc.

It's only 120watts but still eats power on a boat. I've looked to see if I can find anything lower watt but can't, well nothing that I can think of. Have looked at proper pickling units but can't find any info on wattage. Does anyone have any clever ideas?

It's lovely being able to pootle at making along the canal but certainly brings some challenges.

Thanks for any ideas.

Karen

Pickle works cold still, just slower.

Thank you, I didn't know that. So I guess adding some warm water to it would work.

Tea light or sterno warmers work very well too. Just put your pickle in a pyrex jar.

I really hate waiting around, so I would use a Pyrex dish, with a heat diffuser*, on a camping stove turned low. Dennis

*https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMMER-RI...-/332458340922

George beat me to it. I forgot about tea lights. They work brilliantly too.
    Last edited by Dennis; 24-01-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks so much for the ideas. Will have a play with the tea lights. Also wondering if one of those heat diffusers might work with a pyrex dish on top of the hotplate on the log burner during winter months.

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the tea lights idea - really fab. Got a little food warmer, popped the tea lights underneath and it's working perfectly. Thank you

Good to know, thank you. Watch out for fire hazard, like anything flammable getting close though. Dennis.

Also even more worrying on a boat too but you could always put it in a biscuit tin or a metal container of some sort

Yes, I do need to be extra careful of the fire hazard issue. I have it set up on the kitchen drainer and do make sure nothing is close to start with, but not just me here, the biscuit tin is a great idea, then nothing could accidentally get near it. Thanks