Thread: Saw Blade for wood

Default Saw Blade for wood

I bought some birch, bog oak, lime and zebrano pen blanks a while ago. What sort of saw blade would I need to cut these into little bits?

What sort of bits? The larger the bit, the coarser the blade I'd go with. As always it's a balance between speed of cutting & how intricate the cuts are.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    What sort of bits? The larger the bit, the coarser the blade I'd go with. As always it's a balance between speed of cutting & how intricate the cuts are.
    Thanks Peter, Some plain slices or rectangles. The biggest blank is a square inch by 6". Will be cutting into 1cm x 2.5cm x 0.7cm for instance. Do i use the same blades as i use for metal cutting?

I would imagine there will be a different hardness to each wood and I would have used a coping saw rather than your KC to cut slices. Can’t you get someone to cut them down for you? I used to use a lot of lignum vitae and rosewood and it’s hard work and you need quite coarse files to make headway. My woodturner gave me rods for pen blanks which were more of the size you need. You sound as if you could do with having them power cut to a more manageable size for taking slices then you could use a coarse blade for that

Yep, Coping saw will do that.Just don't be left holding v small pieces that need cutting as they aren't as manouevreable as our jewellers' saws. Similar price to an Eclipse too if I remember correctly. Rasps are useful for quick shaping as they take a lot off quickly and then you can refine with sandpaper. Birch is lovely. Do show and tell.
    Nick
    Last edited by NickD; 26-02-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Yep, Coping saw will do that.Just don't be left holding v small pieces that need cutting as they aren't as manouevreable as our jewellers' saws. Similar price to an Eclipse too if I remember correctly. Rasps are useful for quick shaping as they take a lot off quickly and then you can refine with sandpaper. Birch is lovely. Do show and tell.
    Nick
    Didn’t want to mention the rasp Nick as I thought that was just me being a bit heavy handed it does shift a lot of wood though

And watch out for skin too!

If it is just for cutting pen blanks, then fret saw blades intended for wood will do the job well and you can use the saw frame you already have.
    https://www.alwayshobbies.com/tools/...oll-saw-blades Choose the skip tooth variety and they will work for acrylic adventures too in the future. Dennis.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Going to have a wee try sawing myself but i reckon i probably need to find someone locally to cut them for me.