Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A woven Pendant and A Handmade Chain.

Default A woven Pendant and A Handmade Chain.

When I posted my turquoise ring with a woven mount a while back, it wasn’t to everyone’s taste, but I knew I would soon be asked to make a pendant to match, so here it is.

I thought that it deserved a handmade chain. So, my chain has been made from two sizes of bought in round jump rings.

The larger ready closed ones were pushed onto a triblet of tapered, square sterling wire and refined with brass lined pliers.

The drilled offcuts of MDF shown in my picture were used to force them on and then to remove them. The resulting squares were joined with smaller round jump rings, closed and soldered.

The chain ends have a turquoise drop and a fancy hook .

Jump rings: 62 closed 5.0 mm x 0.6mm
    62 open 3.5 mm x0.6mm. Total length of chain 420mm. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ws1 The Woven Ring.jpg   ws4 Woven Necklace Handmade Chain..jpg   ws3 Tools for Squre Links.jpg  

That’s lovely Dennis,I must have missed the ring

I like that, good to see that some people still make chain

It's lovely Dennis, particularly a fan of the square links in the cha I. Whole thing works great together.
    Tess

I loved your woven ring previously and i love your pendant too. It's a really interesting texture. That way of making square links must have speed things up alot. I think the only thing I would have possibly done differantly would have been to put a curving catch on the end to match the curve of the drop and the cabachon rather than a square shaped one, but would have to see it in real life to be sure

I think the squaring of the clasp ties into the square links which in turn relate to those created by the weave. The curves of the stones soften all of that. I like a drop or a fancy clasp at the back. If it hadn’t been a handmade chain I would have added a coordinating clasp

Thank you for looking, Caroline, Bob, Tess and Sheena and for your kind comments. I wish we could have more debates about design on the forum, because it is at the heart of jewellery making. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you for looking, Caroline, Bob, Tess and Sheena and for your kind comments. I wish we could have more debates about design on the forum, because it is at the heart of jewellery making. Dennis.
    I think we are always scared of upsetting people Dennis. I’m not sure I would have commented if I wasn’t able to see the flow of the squares pulling it all together. I’m critical enough of my own work that I never share on here

The reality if constructive criticism upsets people then they probably should not show stuff, one of the best ways to learn what is good and what is not is to have a collective of different minds give a opinion
    of course it is up the you if you decide to use the advice

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    The reality if constructive criticism upsets people then they probably should not show stuff, one of the best ways to learn what is good and what is not is to have a collective of different minds give a opinion
    of course it is up the you if you decide to use the advice
    Yes, i strongly believe that the last opinion on the item you've designed should always be your own . You can go against what other people think but i do think it's good to have a strong reason for every design decision you make. Critique is good for reinforcing why you've done things the way you have.
    Last edited by Sheen; 26-02-2019 at 02:42 PM.