Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You Happy With Your Bench Light?

Default Are You Happy With Your Bench Light?

I had thought for a while about replacing my old Anglepoise lamp with something more up to date. The trend now is for lamps to have energy saving LED strips and be operated by touch.

The lamp I chose has a touch on/off switch, can be dimmed by touching the illuminated strip on the base shown in my picture and has a choice of three colour temperatures, warm white, cool white and daylight. It has 27 LEDs and is virtually shadow less

The base is very stable and is made of aluminium, as is the jointed arm.
    The downside is that the base takes up some valuable work space, and that when the LEDs finally die, it will only be fit for the re-cycling bin. That said the life expectancy is claimed to be 50,000 hours.

It will allow me to experiment with different brightnesses and colours of light, and at a cost of £13.77 including postage and VAT, its hardly a major investment.
    Maximum output 500lm, or around 50W in old incandescent lamps.

https://www.ledfirstchoice.co.uk/checkout/cart/ Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bench Light.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 18-02-2019 at 01:58 PM.

I'm reasonably happy with mine, however, it invariably switches itself onto dimmed or off, right when I'm in the middle of something tricky, but I do like the fact that it is much brighter than my old light.
    Jules

You can't beat that price, that is reasonable even in AUD I have a Planet fluro lamp a model they no longer make the ballast went troppo so I took the tubes out and replaced with adhesive strip LED's
    80 at 5000k extremely bright too for some things and there no dimming feature

That’s a really good price Dennis. I bought the Cookson landing strip with my comp money. It was expensive and it’s very large but I can swing it round over my drill so it has its benefits too.

Default Link to manufaurer

How daft can you get? I posted this in a hurry and gave the wrong supplier. Here is the correct link:
    https://www.lightingever.co.uk/led-lamps Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 18-02-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Trying to buy one but paypal not working at moment. Will try again later. Have now ordered the steel wire though. Found there was a guest checkout which made it easier.

The other downside of led lighting is DAB radio hates it and it just garbles the signal

Another downside of cheap LED lights tends to be poor colour rendition. The method used to calculate a light source's Colour Rendition Index (CRI, sometimes abbreviated to 'Ra') is changing - mainly because the older methods don't work so well with LED sources - but CRI is still widely quoted in technical spec's, because it is simpler and more widely understood.

For everyday workbench use a CRI of 80 should suffice. For retail display a CRI of 90+ is preferable (even a must in high end stores), as it shows products to better effect and helps to make them look more luxurious.

Since I last posted the cheap LED's gave up the ghost so I have replaced them courtesy of my mate who does this for a living, output is now 5000k at CRI of 95

My 'other job' (when I have one) is also in lighting (designing lighting schemes for offices, schools and the like). What manufacturer and model did your friend recommend, out of interest?