Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronze fibula

Default Bronze fibula

I really love making fibula. This one is a left handed brooch made out of bronze wire. What do you think? Should i give it a patina? I do rather like how shiny it is. It's a possible gift for my hospital consultant who is retiring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190215_101948-01.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	11865

No one has responded to your show and tell Sheena, partly because it has become the custom not to post a criticism here, I guess.
    Still, you know me, so I hope I will be forgiven.

While your piece is well crafted and made from an interesting material, its attributes might be lost on a lay person, receiving it as a gift.

I would suggest that you re-work your idea and make it a little more elaborate. No doubt you have seen this video and the result is a little over the top, but you will get the idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FifWqT4nd9s Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No one has responded to your show and tell Sheena, partly because it has become the custom not to post a criticism here, I guess.
    Still, you know me, so I hope I will be forgiven.

While your piece is well crafted and made from an interesting material, its attributes might be lost on a lay person, receiving it as a gift.

I would suggest that you re-work your idea and make it a little more elaborate. No doubt you have seen this video and the result is a little over the top, but you will get the idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FifWqT4nd9s Regards, Dennis.
    Thanks dennis, never have a problem with criticisms if they're well considered . Will check out the video.
    Ps have started reading that book you recommended to me a while ago, from beginning to end. Already found some very useful info, has a bit about making steel pins.

Just finished watching John Ahr. I've seen a few videos by him and rather like him as a teacher as he gets through it quickly. Having done a few brooches i do prefer a slightly harder material than copper now, as copper lacks a pleasing springiness. I liked his cross pein cockroach analogy, i'll remember that. I also liked his tip of putting a notch in your bench block to make the sanding of your pin easier.
    Last edited by Sheen; 16-02-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Hi Sheena,
    You don't mention what type of consultant he/she is, but how about making a fibula which is inspired by what the consultant does??
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Sheena,
    You don't mention what type of consultant he/she is, but how about making a fibula which is inspired by what the consultant does??
    He's a gastroenterologist! If he was a brain surgeon it would be a good idea.

Ps would need a lot of wire for a small intestine
    Last edited by Sheen; 17-02-2019 at 01:27 PM.

You maybe need to think outside the box and not be so literal in his speciality I like the use of bronze as opposed to copper but a bit of a flourish would be good, he may give it to his wife!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    You maybe need to think outside the box and not be so literal in his speciality I like the use of bronze as opposed to copper but a bit of a flourish would be good, he may give it to his wife!
    Yes I've definitely changed my mind on the posted brooch. Giving him something a little more extrovert

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    He's a gastroenterologist! If he was a brain surgeon it would be a good idea.

Ps would need a lot of wire for a small intestine
    Thank god he's not a Gynaecologist!
    Jules

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Thank god he's not a Gynaecologist!
    That's true