Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a disc cutter

Default Purchasing a disc cutter

Fancy buying myself a disc cutter. Have narrowed it down to two choices the 7 hole disc cutter which punches from 6mm to 16mm circles on 1mm metal or the 14 hole disc cutter which punches 3mm to 16mm discs on metal up to 0.7mm. Both are from cookson.
    I did favour the 14 hole one but only punching holes in 0.7mm metal seems a little restrictive. What do you think?

I agree .7 is a bit restrictive, although in my opinion if you put 1 .mm and hit a bit harder it will cut it, at that price it is a throw away item, when I had that style I modified it by removing the spacer this allows you
    place a scrap piece opposite the piece you are punching and clamp it down producing a much cleaner cut.

P.S. I have a custom size unit that I had made of a similar style it cuts 2.mm Sliver,(annealed) these days I use the 20 ton press.
    Last edited by china; 14-02-2019 at 02:54 PM.

I've got a Swanstrom disc cutter bought many years ago and just make sure I anneal the sheet before I whack it.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I've got a Swanstrom disc cutter bought many years ago and just make sure I anneal the sheet before I whack it.
    I have a swanstrom too Jules which I think I was tempted to buy when we were on the same forum back in the day. It’s great and it suggest putting the scrap spaced in.
    I think it has 10 cutters and I don’t think I’ve ever used all of them although they go quite a bit bigger than the ones you’ve looked at Sheena. It depends what you’re going to be using it for primarily but I think the 7 would be enough

It's a hard decision, because you need to predict what you are going to cut disks for: Is it dog tags and pendants, in which case you need larger punches, or is it ear studs and small components in which case you might need something quite small.
    If you cant decide, it will be best to buy the largest set within your budget.

I have had Cookson 999 772 for nearly 25 years (when they were still Exchange Findings) and it has done me fine. As with many cheaper sets, the punches are not tapered, so once the disk has been cut, the punch wedges in the sheet of metal and has to be driven out with a large nail, or similar object.

It is worth having a larger hammer, say 2lb in weight, so that you can cut with the minimum of blows, or you risk getting spoiled disks.
    Also some models do not cut well, so I urge you to read the reviews and phone Cookson Birmingham, try to speak to someone who knows and ask whether they have had complaints about the model you fancy.

The review ***** Haven’t used yet but looks like it’s going to do the job. Is not a reliable response. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Fancy buying myself a disc cutter. Have narrowed it down to two choices the 7 hole disc cutter which punches from 6mm to 16mm circles on 1mm metal or the 14 hole disc cutter which punches 3mm to 16mm discs on metal up to 0.7mm. Both are from cookson.
    I did favour the 14 hole one but only punching holes in 0.7mm metal seems a little restrictive. What do you think?
    If you are meticulous about details (a bit like me) then you will find that whilst most of the cheaper disc cutters are advertised as metric they are in fact imperial...that annoyed me. There are only 3 truly metric disc cutters I have been able to find, Swanstrom Metric Disc Cutter Set Item #: 112594 which I bought from Rio Grande in the US as it is not stocked in the UK. I also bought the Durston Metric disc cutter (SKU: 1202). Proops Brothers also do a metric.

Take my advice, there are 2 features you must have to make your disc cutting life easy.

1) Angled cutting edge: Clean cuts
    2) Stepped punch: Easy removal of punch (as Dennis mentioned).

This narrows your choice, but it is worth saving for!

Cousins UK has 2 offerings (I own both)

They are Indian made, but work well.

1) http://www.cousinsuk.com/product/10-...rs-03-to-032mm
    2) http://www.cousinsuk.com/product/14-...rs-03-to-025mm

Both are imperial

I know people here have an aversion to Cousins, so there is this offering from Proops Brothers

disc-punches-cutter-tool-set-of-14-3mm---254mm-or-18-to-1-cutters-j2203-9905-p.asp

Wow, so many replies already. I'm going to be reading my way carefully through them. Mainly i want a cutter for stud earrings, and soldering onto rings so i'm not looking for large circles. I already have euro punch pliers which can cut a 6mm circle. If i was selling professionally one of the expensive ones would be great but at the moment i'm not producing much so would rather go for one under £100 so i can experiment.

I've decided to go with the 14 hole disc cutter 999 772a from cookson, as china says, at that price it is a through away item. I like that it has 10 holes between the size of 6mmm and 16mm which would suit me well. I know i'm going to have to set up some dowel to get the punches back out again like seen on Nancy Hamilton's video:
    https://youtu.be/yuYAd8zlgaw
    Nancy said you could use a rawhide mallet for punching which i like the idea of. Cookson's have an 11oz mallet 9973119. Would this be heavy enough/okay?

Ps Dennis, i tried phoning the birmingham store but ended up at cookson's sales. They couldn't tell me much. I did find a video about this particular cutter from a Cookson's customer who was using it for his workshop's jewellery courses. Perhaps a good sign.

I would not even consider using a rawhide mallet you would need to be built Arnold Schwarzenegger I use a 1 kilo approx. 2lb brass hammer, or If you have a hydraulic press you can use that

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I would not even consider using a rawhide mallet you would need to be built Arnold Schwarzenegger I use a 1 kilo approx. 2lb brass hammer, or If you have a hydraulic press you can use that
    Thanks, will get myself a 2lb brass hammer