Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking Q. Just a little one

Default Hallmarking Q. Just a little one

So, I have my first batch to send off to Edinburgh as soon as I complete the online form. My question is that I have some sawn out flat sheet post earrings that are .5mm thick. Should I hallmark the post (but I’ve twisted this to harden) or will the 5mm thick sheet withstand the punch from hallmarking without leaving a dent on the good side?
    This will be a problem also with my ear hooks on some earrings as they’re detachable (where to hallmark?)
    Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks
    Ps. My stamp is .5mm. Posts on earrings are .8mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JewelleryByMandy; 12-02-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Hi Mandy,

I assume they are silver only, rather than silver and gold? Is each earring over the 7.78gm weight? If not, I wouldn't send them in. As a general rule having a hallmark on the post is doable and I've had mine hallmarked in the past, but don't get them done now. I would always attach a note asking them to lightly stamp the item. If in doubt, I'd recommend phoning Edinburgh, so they follow your instructions. I mark my items with a sharpie pen, where I'd like my hallmark, otherwise they'll stamp wherever Is easy for them to do so.
    Jules

I have small items laser marked but it is an extra set up cost at Edinburgh and then it’s there when you need it. They never really mark anything there unless they are completely sure and are likely to phone. My heart sinks when I see their number on the phone as it means I wasn’t clear about something!
    When you say the wires are detachable, do you mean by hand or it needs pliers, if the latter then that is seen as being one piece of jewellery. Remember also that a pair of earrings is counted as 2 pieces so when you are working up to the minimum assay cost it’s worth putting in as many pieces as possible to make the cost per item less

Thanks for your answers.
    They’ve been in touch and it would be on the posts for hallmarking.
    I would opt for laser but I’m so brassic this month I just can’t afford it. I have around 80 items to send. a lot are earrings. But people ask me if they’re HM and when I say no they’re not interested so I think I’m just gonna get everything done. Xx

I don't think anyone has ever asked me if items are hallmarked. Especially sterling stud earrings.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I don’t think it’s ever come up on even my high end pieces. It’s usually me that pushes the point as it’s really important to me and it’s the only Scottish hallmark. It generally doesn’t seem to matter

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    Thanks for your answers.
    But people ask me if they’re HM and when I say no they’re not interested so I think I’m just gonna get everything done. Xx
    My reply would be if they ask that it will cost them more and if they are happy to pay, then you can have them hallmarked. If I do have earrings hallmarked now, its because I've spent a lot of time on them and want that reflected by not only the price, but also the hallmark.
    Jules

This is a little off topic, just to satisfy my curiosity what sort of cost do you get charged for Hall marking?

China, the charging structure is so complex and convoluted that it took my accountants time to work out how it was computed. The information is on each assay office website though
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk