Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking Q. Just a little one

Ok I might have a look just interested, because of course we don't have government Hall Marking

I checked the Birmingham site other than registration (rort) it does not seem that expensive OH! and then there is the packing (rort)

And every office is different as they are private companies or at least Edinburgh is. I haven’t looked at their recently changed prices but their is a minimum charge so it worth getting many pieces over the first price to make it worthwhile

So They are private companies not government, it is a government requirement though

EAO is the trading name of the Incorporation of Goldsmiths of the City of Edinburgh so it’s a business trading since 1457. I suppose they must make money to carry out the legal requirements set. I like the fact the Edinburgh mark has a history but I’m not sure it means anything to my customers. I’m assuming that all the others a separate companies. Edinburgh charges a set up fee for laser marking, I don’t think the others do.
    My OH does the drive to Edinburgh with my work and then picks it up again not because the postage is so great but that i worry it wouldn’t get here for my one event of the year and I’d be gubbed!! It also gives me a few extra days either way if I’m working to the last minute.

Birmingham charge for a laser set up too, but I rarely use it now and just insist on a very light mark on most things. I seem to remember when Steve LAO was on here that the London hallmark was more expensive than the others, but now I think they are all pretty similar. Birmingham have just put theirs up.
    Jules

Yes the packing and postal charges put it up a lot.
    Its ok if you can send quite a few items at once but for those that can't its really expensive for silver items.

Good that I don't have to worry about it, keeps things much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Good that I don't have to worry about it, keeps things much simpler.
    Jewellers in the UK don't have to worry about UK hallmarking laws either if they are shipping to destinations outside the UK. If the export market is large enough it then comes down to the question of whether Postage & packaging is more economical than Hallmarking.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Jewellers in the UK don't have to worry about UK hallmarking laws either if they are shipping to destinations outside the UK. If the export market is large enough it then comes down to the question of whether Postage & packaging is more economical than Hallmarking.
    I suppose it depends on whether you do it only for legal reasons or you also see it as a mark of quality which is more what I look at it as being