Thread: question about making your gold alloy

Default question about making your gold alloy

good day. This Q is coming from my recent discussion with a friend from Russia who is in jewellery biz there. I have asked her abt pricing of getting scrap gold in Russia to compare with UK. She advised that making your own gold alloy will be cheaper. then she told that in Russia ( and I did not know that) jewellers easily can buy mix of metals presorted for different colours and carats. I always knew you have to take parts of metals as per formula and mix , but now I see that I can buy already mixed parts . question can I buy same ready done mixes here in UK? (not that I need but out of curiosity asking.;-) this is website of Russian online supplier for example. they have eng version I think. https://www.ruta.ru/products/metalli_i_splavi/

If I understand correctly yes you can buy various grades e.g. 9k 18k 22k etc. ready made pretty much all over the world
    please excuse me if i have miss understood the question

no this is not abt grades. in Russia this is called ligature - eg mix opf metals u add to pure gold to make your own. like u buy pure gold and take mix of colour u want to get and grade mix heat etc cool and you are done.

Interesting idea - I've not seen that before. So it's alloying casting grain in effect? Any time I've alloyed my own I've just weighed out the amount of each metal I needed and melted it.
    Admittedly, it's been more for interest than need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankolosova View Post
    good day. This Q is coming from my recent discussion with a friend from Russia who is in jewellery biz there. I have asked her abt pricing of getting scrap gold in Russia to compare with UK. She advised that making your own gold alloy will be cheaper. then she told that in Russia ( and I did not know that) jewellers easily can buy mix of metals presorted for different colours and carats. I always knew you have to take parts of metals as per formula and mix , but now I see that I can buy already mixed parts . question can I buy same ready done mixes here in UK? (not that I need but out of curiosity asking.;-) this is website of Russian online supplier for example. they have eng version I think. https://www.ruta.ru/products/metalli_i_splavi/
    Making your own alloy is around 13-15% cheaper (9ct yellow compared to Cooksongold casting grain).

To get the colour you want you can use the Gold Ternary Graph. Here:Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english.svg.png

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Interesting idea - I've not seen that before. So it's alloying casting grain in effect? Any time I've alloyed my own I've just weighed out the amount of each metal I needed and melted it.
    Admittedly, it's been more for interest than need.
    so, after seen all these answers I clearly understood that I am not missing much and in UK here we are just taking separate metals in proportions and mix them to get right alloy.interesting that there are a lot of Japanese and American producers of ready mixed additive alloys on a mkt but they are not popular here. wonder if it's pricing / taxes or.... ? just a s thought.... I think I need to meet and talk with my friend more to see what's the technicality there,. as really interested in a process. as seems pretty easy just take mix of metals u need for 18 or 14 or 9 ct and it's done and in the exact color you need.,,,

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Making your own alloy is around 13-15% cheaper (9ct yellow compared to Cooksongold casting grain).

To get the colour you want you can use the Gold Ternary Graph. Here:Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english.svg.png
    indeed that's what I thought... not my level yet though ... but very interesting. TX !