Thread: which white gouache?

Default which white gouache?

Just wondering if others use this for transferring designs and if so, which brand?
    I've been using Windsor and Newton but it ain't cheap.
    Do alternatives work as well which I suspect they might?
    Mornin',
    Nick

Depends on the complexity of the design - sometimes I'll use permanent marker I scribe through, but for more detailed stuff (e.g. engraving) then I tend to use gouache. I've just checked mine - it's Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache. You only use a tiny amount, smeared on with a finger, so a small tube goes a very long way. I've also used a 1/2 pan of student-grade Chinese White watercolour, applied with a damp finger, but I prefer the gouache.
    Might be worth trying the cheap poster paints as a possible alternative?

In a pinch I've used car primer on steel, but never mind!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Depends on the complexity of the design - sometimes I'll use permanent marker I scribe through, but for more detailed stuff (e.g. engraving) then I tend to use gouache. I've just checked mine - it's Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache. You only use a tiny amount, smeared on with a finger, so a small tube goes a very long way. I've also used a 1/2 pan of student-grade Chinese White watercolour, applied with a damp finger, but I prefer the gouache.
    Might be worth trying the cheap poster paints as a possible alternative?

In a pinch I've used car primer on steel, but never mind!
    Yes, thanks Peter. What I do lately is draw sth in a sketch book, trace it, whiten the metal and then use carbon paper. Why oh why do I choose large designs.You're right, i'll buy sth cheaper and give it a go.
    i have used metal primer before myself.
    Cheers,
    nick

I think I’ve used cheap poster paint in the past but it’s such a long time since I used the process I’d forgotten all about it