Thread: Silver and copper piece - Can you Hallmark.

Default Silver and copper piece - Can you Hallmark.

Hi,

I have just made a little silver and copper piece. I'm not selling it, but it occurred to me that should I want to make any more like it, can I get them hallmarked? Assuming not and can you therefore not sell silver and copper jewellery?

Thanks,

Karen

Default Mixed Metals

The rules for mixed metals are as follows:

REGULATIONS FOR ARTICLES OF PRECIOUS METAL PARTS AND OTHER MATERIALS
    • A mixed precious metal and base metal article can only be hallmarked if any precious metal component is at least the minimum legal fineness for that metal ie Gold 375. Silver 800 Platinum 850 and Palladium 500.
    • Base metal parts must be clearly distinguishable from precious metal parts by Colour, or by having the word METAL or the name of the metal struck on the base metal part (brass, stainless steel, titanium etc)
    • The non-precious metal part must not be plated to resemble any precious metal.
    • The extent of each part must be clearly visible.
    • A mixed metal article containing only a single precious metal will be hallmarked on the precious metal part only.
    • For an article with more than one precious metal and a base metal the rules which apply to hallmarking Mixed Precious Metals apply.

Ref:http://theassayoffice.com/legislation/mixed-metals

Thank you, looks like it will be OK then :-)

This is a pretty helpful rules. Do every jeweler has to stick with them?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMcLean39 View Post
    The Hallmarking Act 1973 is part of UK law. So for selling jewellery in the UK, yes. Selling in the US, different laws.

As far as rules go, I'd strongly advise reading the forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMcLean39 View Post
    Well that's a pretty interesting info. Thank you very much handmadeblanks for such information. I was looking to know more about hallmarked. In general, in my opinion, this is very useful information for those who produce rings and various precious jewelry. And as I understand it, this is something like an official set of rules that are used by most of the jewelers. And who imposes hallmarked. Is this done by the author of the product or some service? But if there is no such mark, does it mean that the jewel is not real? I know for sure that the gold dealer in SF Bay Area has such tags on its products and I know that this quality service means everything is good. Once again thanks for the info!