Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B__x_t Question....Really Sorry

Default B__x_t Question....Really Sorry

So today I received a letter from our Customs and Border Control, outlining the steps I should take if I do business with the UK, in the event of a no deal "B". For others here based within the EU and if you currently trade to the UK, how is your country helping you prepare for a no deal "B"?

Thanks, Les.
    Poor old Les

I'm in the UK and the stupid govt isn't helping us at all. From your viewpoint the tanking of the GBP means that any imports you make from the UK to the rest of the world are really cheap now, while for us of course, imports are around 20% dearer
    If brexit happens then expect delays and massive confusion at the border so goods passing either way will be held up, no-one knows as yet whether we will be applying huge duty or none, or what sort of VAT or how much. The Customs people I cleared some goods through (hand carried) rolled their eyes and just sighed like really unhappy plumbers when I asked.
    The UK government has yet to decide what it wants. The majority now want to remain and stop the whole thing. Expect chaos - and if it does happen next month, avoid the UK if you can.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Absolutely nothing and our customs are so utterly inefficient I really don't know what Im going to do if all my UK orders have to come through customs here.
    I shall probably have to have them sent to an EU country with better customs first then on to me here ( and yes they really are that bad- 3 months wait for anything and one time they even returned horsehair to a US customer after 3 months because it had 0 value declared).
    On the plus side if I can get past that issue they will all be zero rated for VAT in the event of a no deal Brexit ( our VAT threshold is 10k here not 75 like the UK , everything over that and we pay 23%).

You will have also to be careful about quality standards - it won't be just food (chlorine chicken folks) but metals - Americans still put nickel in their gold, silver and platings.
    We could also see a deterioration in consumer protection laws - stuff like the UK Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations could go - good for sellers but a disaster if you buy online remotely
    Last edited by pearlescence; 07-02-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I'm in the UK and the stupid govt isn't helping us at all. From your viewpoint the tanking of the GBP means that any imports you make from the UK to the rest of the world are really cheap now, while for us of course, imports are around 20% dearer
    If brexit happens then expect delays and massive confusion at the border so goods passing either way will be held up, no-one knows as yet whether we will be applying huge duty or none, or what sort of VAT or how much. The Customs people I cleared some goods through (hand carried) rolled their eyes and just sighed like really unhappy plumbers when I asked.
    The UK government has yet to decide what it wants. The majority now want to remain and stop the whole thing. Expect chaos - and if it does happen next month, avoid the UK if you can.
    To be honest I tend not to purchase supplies from the UK anymore and maybe I will stop selling to the UK depending on how the paperwork goes. Due to the fact that I have been actively working with British Nats across the EU for the past 18 months or so it is interesting to see how the different countries are readying for the event. I don't know if you personally sell to the EU but have you been made aware of steps to take?
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Absolutely nothing and our customs are so utterly inefficient I really don't know what Im going to do if all my UK orders have to come through customs here.
    I shall probably have to have them sent to an EU country with better customs first then on to me here ( and yes they really are that bad- 3 months wait for anything and one time they even returned horsehair to a US customer after 3 months because it had 0 value declared).
    On the plus side if I can get past that issue they will all be zero rated for VAT in the event of a no deal Brexit ( our VAT threshold is 10k here not 75 like the UK , everything over that and we pay 23%).
    You are in Portugal right Sarah? If I am correct, I think you mostly sell outside of the UK or EU, so the process will be mostly unchanged maybe you will have to account for more time at border control, I really don't know. Our guys are really ready and prepared. Happy I now have Dual Nat, so I have been focusing more on cross border sales to potentially replace my trading to the UK. The paperwork is a simpler affair for my small business. I personally don't tend to purchase any supplies from the UK anymore, but if you need help with making purchases from any of my suppliers I am happy to help.

We have been abandoned by our Embassy, but have you had any contact with your Embassy?
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    To be honest I tend not to purchase supplies from the UK anymore and maybe I will stop selling to the UK depending on how the paperwork goes. Due to the fact that I have been actively working with British Nats across the EU for the past 18 months or so it is interesting to see how the different countries are readying for the event. I don't know if you personally sell to the EU but have you been made aware of steps to take?
    That may be an interesting issue too Les with British nats. They are starting to get quite jumpy with no deals in place for them so they seem to be depending on each country’s policy towards them and not many have been forthcoming. All a bit worrying for everyone

People are jumpy with good reason Caroline, our Embassies are less than useless so we have to rely on our respective countries. I live in hope that many countries gearing up for a No Deal are taking a pragmatic approach rather a pessimistic one. Hence my reason for the question.
    Last edited by art925; 07-02-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    Poor old Les

I’m like Wendy hoping it’ll never happen but feeling quite despondent now especially as Scotland didn’t want to leave.

From my perspective I already import stuff from the world (far east mostly) avoid America because of their nickel, and export to the world. It will mean more paperwork because the EU won't be so simple
    however the UK market has died this week. People have, I think, finally realised that it is all real and not project fear scaremongering
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk