Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Thinking Of Going Green?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    7,359

    Default Thinking Of Going Green?

    Well, if you are not pressed for time, you might consider patinating silver using an anti-dandruff shampoo containing selenium sulphide (American sulfide).

    The darker sterling dome was immersed in a small quantity of head and Shoulders Scalp Relief, currently available at larger branches of Sainsbury and at high street chemists.

    It took 48 hours to reach this degree of blackness and at the end of that time it was rinsed away under running water, just like…..shampoo. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shampoo on Silver.jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    914

    Default

    I will have to try it we have head & shoulders hear, appears to be in a different package, will check the ingredients

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    That’s good and dark Dennis. I’m just trying to imagine if that can be good for us

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    442

    Default

    I think the shampoo 'selsun' is selenium sulfide.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,746

    Default

    It is.

    https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/4323/pil

    It's unfortunate I've now got the movie Evolution stuck in my head with all this...!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Oh, that's interesting. That's definitely one to investigate.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Surbiton
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It took 48 hours to reach this degree of blackness and at the end of that time it was rinsed away under running water, just like…..shampoo. Dennis.
    sorry misunderstood last part Dennis , if I may . does patination stays or washes?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    7,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ankolosova View Post
    sorry misunderstood last part Dennis , if I may . does patination stays or washes?
    Ah yes, I can see the ambiguity Anna. Writers need an editor. Black stays, shampoo washes away.
    I used this shampoo as an example, as they have just put it on the shelves at our local Sainsbury.

    However Peter bond's link is to Selsun Shampoo, which contains 2.5% selenium sulphide, as opposed to only 1% in Head and shoulders. So Selsun would be more effective. Dennis.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    14

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Ah yes, I can see the ambiguity Anna. Writers need an editor. Black stays, shampoo washes away.
    I used this shampoo as an example, as they have just put it on the shelves at our local Sainsbury.

    However Peter bond's link is to Selsun Shampoo, which contains 2.5% selenium sulphide, as opposed to only 1% in Head and shoulders. So Selsun would be more effective. Dennis.
    Wow, as a newbie, I had no idea silversmithing could be so bizarre! :-)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    Wow, as a newbie, I had no idea silversmithing could be so bizarre! :-)
    If you want really bizarre you could use cat litter and cat pee

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •