Thread: starting to make jewellery at home and insurance???

Default starting to make jewellery at home and insurance???

Hi
    I am new to the site and hope i haven't missed this somewhere else.

I have done several workshops and love making jewellery with silver and copper.

I have decided that i am going to start making jewellery from home, i have a spare room that is usable, with the intention of selling online and at local craft fairs. I have done my research and started to buy equipment and materials, but not sorted out the selling side of it.

I have found some sites on insurance for selling my products - that is fine, i understand the public liability side of it

What i am having trouble with is,

do i need to tell my home insurance that i am going to have jewellery making equipment in the house?

or that i am running a business from home?

Can't seem to find an answer, so would love to hear from others that work from home

Thanks

Andrea

Just thought I'd add my £0.02, having spoken to our domestic insurers after reading the links posted by Dennis.

Contents insured with Legal & General via a broker, building insured with Aviva via Santander.

Neither had a problem per se with me making and selling jewellery from home, but both wanted to know the value of stock and tools - I gave them an estimated figure in the high hundreds and they were happy with that. One or both also asked...
    - If customers call around (No)
    - Whether I had any employees (No)
    - How I get paid (mainly online / PayPal)
    - How many rooms are used (Kitchen for soldering, attic for everything else, plus my computer for admin)
    - Where I sell (Online and at the occasional, small show)

Other info supplied...
    - I described myself as a 'part time jewellery maker', emphasising that (at least for now) this is a hobby that I'm trying to get to pay for itself (i.e. a not-for-profit operation) rather than a full-time occupation.
    - Neither company had a problem with the gas torch. Aviva specifically said, "That's OK - we already know what jewellery making involves", when I mentioned it to them.

So... no premium increases and no invalidation of existing policies in my case, although neither policy includes Public / Product Liability (PPL) insurance - this is about to be sorted with GoJD membership.

That said: Other insurers may take a tougher line and you should always check with yours, answering any / all questions honestly.

Thank for sharing your experience. Dennis.

Insurers will run a mile if you admit to customers coming to your home/business. Every one is automatically suspect apparently. They will decline you. Though I've never understood why someone coming to my home/business means my roof is more likely to blow off
    I often wonder when they will decline claims for people selling on ebay and such
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

People selling is actually illegal, Wendy.

Ha ha Dennis!
    people who sell
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

An interesting and informative post Lux, thanks for taking the time.