Thread: starting to make jewellery at home and insurance???

Default starting to make jewellery at home and insurance???

Hi
    I am new to the site and hope i haven't missed this somewhere else.

I have done several workshops and love making jewellery with silver and copper.

I have decided that i am going to start making jewellery from home, i have a spare room that is usable, with the intention of selling online and at local craft fairs. I have done my research and started to buy equipment and materials, but not sorted out the selling side of it.

I have found some sites on insurance for selling my products - that is fine, i understand the public liability side of it

What i am having trouble with is,

do i need to tell my home insurance that i am going to have jewellery making equipment in the house?

or that i am running a business from home?

Can't seem to find an answer, so would love to hear from others that work from home

Thanks

Andrea

Just thought I'd add my 0.02, having spoken to our domestic insurers after reading the links posted by Dennis.

Contents insured with Legal & General via a broker, building insured with Aviva via Santander.

Neither had a problem per se with me making and selling jewellery from home, but both wanted to know the value of stock and tools - I gave them an estimated figure in the high hundreds and they were happy with that. One or both also asked...
    - If customers call around (No)
    - Whether I had any employees (No)
    - How I get paid (mainly online / PayPal)
    - How many rooms are used (Kitchen for soldering, attic for everything else, plus my computer for admin)
    - Where I sell (Online and at the occasional, small show)

Other info supplied...
    - I described myself as a 'part time jewellery maker', emphasising that (at least for now) this is a hobby that I'm trying to get to pay for itself (i.e. a not-for-profit operation) rather than a full-time occupation.
    - Neither company had a problem with the gas torch. Aviva specifically said, "That's OK - we already know what jewellery making involves", when I mentioned it to them.

So... no premium increases and no invalidation of existing policies in my case, although neither policy includes Public / Product Liability (PPL) insurance - this is about to be sorted with GoJD membership.

That said: Other insurers may take a tougher line and you should always check with yours, answering any / all questions honestly.

Thank for sharing your experience. Dennis.

Insurers will run a mile if you admit to customers coming to your home/business. Every one is automatically suspect apparently. They will decline you. Though I've never understood why someone coming to my home/business means my roof is more likely to blow off
    I often wonder when they will decline claims for people selling on ebay and such
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk
    @pearlescenceltd
    instagram: pearlescenceltd1

People selling is actually illegal, Wendy.

Ha ha Dennis!
    people who sell
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk
    @pearlescenceltd
    instagram: pearlescenceltd1

An interesting and informative post Lux, thanks for taking the time.