Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to solder without burning the stone?

Default How to solder without burning the stone?

I’m trying to set a small diamond on top of a turquoise that has a drill hole in the middle. The style is quite like the pictures shown below. But turquoise is quite delicate and will change color with heat. Is there a way that I can do it without damaging the turquoise? Can I use a thin tube and rivet it? Another fear of hammering and cracking the turquoise comes along with riveting. Please help.
    People had previously done it with an Amber, Amber is a very delicate stone to work with. So i think it can definitely be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Milky, and welcome to the forum.
    You can't heat the turquoise, so solder the tube to the ring. Put on the stone with the tube through the hole and spread the tube slightly, by inserting a scriber, or other pointed object and wriggling it a little. No hammer required.
    Use the surplus tube, which is projecting, to set a suitable round diamond. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Milky, and welcome to the forum.
    You can't heat the turquoise, so solder the tube to the ring. Put on the stone with the tube through the hole and spread the tube slightly, by inserting a scriber, or other pointed object and wriggling it a little. No hammer required.
    Use the surplus tube, which is projecting, to set a suitable round diamond. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,
    Thank you for your reply. The hole of the turquoise is a little bit wider than 1mm in diameter. So I can only use a 1mm tube at top. Don’t think it’d be applicable to set the diamond with it the diamond is cushion shape 4.6*4.6

You can enlarge the hole easily with a tapered diamond, either in your motor, or by hand using a bead reamer. So you can use a larger tube and set a round diamond.
    I've no idea how to set that square one though. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You can enlarge the hole easily with a tapered diamond, either in your motor, or by hand using a bead reamer. So you can use a larger tube and set a round diamond.
    I've no idea how to set that square one though. Dennis.
    Did you mean 1. Enlarge the 1mm tube, 2. Set larger tube bezel set diamond in the 1mm tube ?
    That sounds applicable but I might need some practice before that doing the actual piece.
    Thank you!

No, a 1mm tube will be useless. Use a 2.0 or 2.5mm tube and enlarge the hole in the turquoise accordingly.
    When the turquoise has been set as described above, leaving spare tube projecting, make a seat for tube setting and order a round diamond to fit. Dennis.

You could I suppose make a setting for the big diamond and solder it to the 1mm tube and then once inserted through the turquoise and the shank splay it as Dennis suggested. The size and shape of the square diamond does seem a bit at odds with the turquoise, hiding most of the stone and distracting from the diamond which I feel is bit out of proportion and I would go with a smaller diamond but that’s only my view. The diamond deserves a setting on its own to show it to its best
    Last edited by CJ57; 21-01-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    You could I suppose make a setting for the big diamond and solder it to the 1mm tube and then once inserted through the turquoise and the shank splay it as Dennis suggested. The size and shape of the square diamond does seem a bit at odds with the turquoise, hiding most of the stone and a bit out of proportion and I would go with a smaller diamond but that’s only my view
    In that case the soldering would happen at the shank. I suppose I could submerge the diamond and turquoise in water and solder it? Would the turquoise still be damaged from the heat?

No the soldering would be done to the tube, the setting soldered to the tube and then the tube put through the turquoise and the shank and splayed on the underside to connect it to the shank. You can’t solder the turquoise so this has to be cold connected

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    No the soldering would be done to the tube, the setting soldered to the tube and then the tube put through the turquoise and the shank and splayed on the underside to connect it to the shank. You can’t solder the turquoise so this has to be cold connected
    By splayed, do you mean like a rivet (picture below)?