Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finishing

Well, I don't know about the lovely moderator, I suspect she's giving it some zzzz's, but I used to get my micromesh from Axminster. I suspect you can get it cheaper on ebay tho.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Well, I don't know about the lovely moderator, I suspect she's giving it some zzzz's,
    As you should have been too, Di!! (tut, tut ...consider yourself told off!!)

Do I take it this micromesh stuff can come as sort of sponge pads and cloths? ...different sites seem to have different formats of it.

And if you use it on pmc...is that before or after firing...or both??!!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I LOVE micromesh. It's basically wet and dry paper, but on a fabric backing. Comes in lots of grades, and as both cloths and pads. Rinses out under the tap and lasts for blummin ages!

I get mine from a woodworkers supply place on 't bay, but I suspect a certain lovely moderator may have a good source?

It's the same stuff that's used for the really good nail buffing pads as well
    Lol this lovely moderator was catching some zzzz's but she gets hers in lovely huge sheets from silverclay.co.uk
    You can use it before and after on PMC but keep seperate sheets for pre and post fired clay (cant be bothered to wash them out it's just easier to cut them into smaller sheets)
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    Lol this lovely moderator was catching some zzzz's but she gets hers in lovely huge sheets from silverclay.co.uk
    You can use it before and after on PMC but keep seperate sheets for pre and post fired clay (cant be bothered to wash them out it's just easier to cut them into smaller sheets)
    Nic x
    Good Lord, Nic!! You SLEEP in MICROMESH!!! Now that's what I call devotion above and beyond the cause!!!
    Or is it some beauty regime?? Exfoliation to the extreme!!!

....so - are these sheets thin like fabric - or are they sponge backed...?

(...and do they come in double or king sized!!!)

Why thank you for noticing - yes my skin is everso soft but it's down to Oil of Ulay (Pah! on their Olay nonsense!) not micromesh
    The micromesh is in thin sheets like fabric the ones with the sponge on the back are sponge back sanding pads (also very good)
    nicx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Brilliant stuff Oil of Ulay...My Mum has used it forever...she is now nearly 90 ( in November) and has a complexion most 60 year olds would die for. I hope a lot of it is genetic though (as I can't bear the smell of perfumed makeup since I was pregnant with my first baby!!) ...I may have to resort to the micromesh treatment yet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    Brilliant stuff Oil of Ulay...My Mum has used it forever...she is now nearly 90 ( in November) and has a complexion most 60 year olds would die for. I hope a lot of it is genetic though (as I can't bear the smell of perfumed makeup since I was pregnant with my first baby!!) ...I may have to resort to the micromesh treatment yet!!
    I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you this, but hey, I was a kid! When I was a greasey spotty teenager I had terrible flaky skin on my nose and it used to really upset me. One day I had the bright idea of er, sanding my nose, using a nail file! It worked a treat, except it came back worse afetr a day or two so I think I must have spent the best part of a couple of years sanding my bloody nose every morning!

Oh and Nic, back on subject, is this micromesh also known as polishing paper? I got a sample pack of this from Kernowcraft a while back and it sounds similar.
    Lucinda

I'm not sure Nic's micromesh is the same as mine.

I can get it in both cloth and pads, and it's made by a co called micro finishing products:

here are some pads: WOODTURNING- MICRO MESH 9 PAD VARIETY PACK (LARGE) on eBay (end time 16-Oct-09 21:31:46 BST)

and here are some sheets: MICROMESH / MICRO MESH POLISHING CLOTHS 6" x 4" on eBay (end time 25-Sep-09 17:13:06 BST)

The first seller also has the buffing sticks, which are dead handy

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you this, but hey, I was a kid! When I was a greasey spotty teenager I had terrible flaky skin on my nose and it used to really upset me. One day I had the bright idea of er, sanding my nose, using a nail file! It worked a treat, except it came back worse afetr a day or two so I think I must have spent the best part of a couple of years sanding my bloody nose every morning!

Oh and Nic, back on subject, is this micromesh also known as polishing paper? I got a sample pack of this from Kernowcraft a while back and it sounds similar.
    Don't be embarassed...you should have gone into cosmetic surgery!!! Perhaps not with the nail file though!! Microdermabrasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the extra info George!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    But I have to admit to really liking hand polishing (possibly a form of masochism?).
    I thought I might be the only person who liked polishing by hand - I find it really satisfying seeing the shine getting better and better - am I sad??!!
    Lorraine