Thread: Stick pins

Default Stick pins

Getting interested in stick pins/lapel pins now that i've learnt to cut shapes with a saw. I can't find anything out about them on the web. Does anything have any thoughts on making these. I thought i would use 1.0mm silver wire for the pin, how long should it be? Do they always have a stopper (listwd on cookson as a protector) or is there another way to do it? Sheen

The pins themselves need to be twisted by a half turn every 5-6 mm to make them good and hard. The bought protectors will be easily mislaid or lost, so they are best attached by a very thin safety chain and a firm but only hand closed jump ring.

That said, stick pins are not as popular as brooches, which can have proper hinges and catches. So make a few to get them out of your system and then attempt some brooches.

These are some of the first brooches I ever made. I quickly learned how to make the fittings. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flat Brooch Mania.jpg   Flat Brooch (witch  '96).jpg  

Hi Dennis wise words as always, i was laughing at your photo title: flat brooch mania. Particularly liked your devil, scaredy cat and croc. I really like the style of them. Shame stick pins aren't as popular as i like the elegance of them. There is an edinburgh jeweller who makes lovely ones incorrporating wire from oil terminals.
    I'm also going to have a go at some bar brooches. I don't like the premade brooch backs that are sold ready made. There's no charm about them. Bfn sheena