Thread: Luxi alternative

Default Luxi alternative

Hi,

I asked last year about alternatives to tripoli and rouge and was recommended luxi. I have just been doing odd bits and pieces this last year for friends and family and for fun really so it hasn't been a big deal, but not really getting on with it. It is indeed much better for less dust, but don't find it easy to get that mirror finish. I've tried putting less polish on as it seemed to just smear but still struggling with it. Am I doing something wrong or can anyone recommend anything different please? I hoping to get back to working more regularly so want something I gel with.

Thank you,

Karen

Hi Karen, I've been using Menzerna yellow with Alcantara mops based on a few posts from this forum - probably from Dennis . I like it but haven't used Luxi to be able to compare.

Hi Karen,

I've always used Luxi, and prefer it as its water based and have been happy with the finish I get. I do wash with soapy, good quality, washing liquid between each polish and assume you do the same? If you are not, then that may be why. Other than that I can't comment, as I haven't used anything else. Perhaps the others may come along with their own tips etc.....
    Jules

Hi Karen,

I am a relative novice but my experience is the same as Jules, I've only ever used Luxi and achieve what I would class as a mirror finish.

For 925 Sterling I use as recommended by the Luxi chart:

1st Stage: Luxi Yellow
    2nd Stage: Luxi Red
    Final Stage: Luxi Orange

What isn't clear in your post is whether you can't achieve a mirror finish with Luxi, or whether it takes more time and effort than with tripoli & rouge?

I use luxi but still revert back to rouge and tripoli at times especially if ther is firestain. There is a build up sometimes but it usually polishes away and there may just be a build up on the mops. What kind of mops are you using and do you clean them?
    It took me a long time to move to luxi and by the time I did everyone had moved on to menzerna, I have so much of all the rest I’m loathe to buy anything else. I have found the synthetic mops work better with luxi than wool or cotton mops

Thanks for the replies. I do clean between polishes. I am just using the blue and red as that is what I was advised by cooksons. Blue actually gives me a better finish than the red. I will have to check what mops I ordered last time, I asked advise on it but they always used to let you speak to someone who had personal experience ie a jeweller if you asked and this person wouldn't when I was asking advise about polish and mops. Umm, no, I don't clean the mops, feel a bit silly now, that maybe a big part of the problem, build up. Probably another silly question but how do you clean them?

I use blue and white luxi
    Last edited by CJ57; 17-01-2019 at 01:43 PM.