Thread: Damasteel / nickel

Default Damasteel / nickel

Good afternoon all,

Does any of you guys have experience with stainless steels in particular Damasteel which is Damascus stainless steel made in Sweden it is made of 304 and 316 graded stainless.
    I am wanting to create wedding bands and other items initially from this material but concerned about the nickel content having an effect on people, the nickel content is listed as 11% in the 316 grade and 9% in the 304 grade. I am hoping this is too little a percentage to effect anyone but not sure??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Martin

The key thing (as you're probably aware if you've been digging) is the release rate, rather than the absolute content - the nickel content in white gold is (in areas that aren't controlled by REACH) comparable with 304 & 316. I did find a paper - https://www.bssa.org.uk/cms/File/Con...20and%20SS.pdf - that discusses release rates in stainless, but it's more of a hint than an absolute. I'd be inclined to ask Damasteel themselves about the release rates for the alloys they use - I presume it's only the austenitic steels are of interest in your application.

Hi Peter

Yes only austenitic I would looking at, I wasn’t aware of the release rates to be honest so thank you the link I will have a read of that later. I shall also speak to Damasteel, I would like to try my own stainless Damascus at some point but it’s probably more economical to buy in at the moment then have a dabble at Mokume Gane.

Thanks for the info Peter

Regards

Martin