Thread: Questions on Airgraver?

Default Questions on Airgraver?

Hi everyone,
    So iv been having a look around at the best (and affordable when on a budget) assisted hand engraver/stone setting tool.
    I thought about the hammer handpeice but have just discovered the Foredom SR i purchased in good faith from a friend is counterfeit. Bummer!
    I cannot afford to buy a band new foredom and a handpeice, i am looking into getting an airgraver but i dont know how much im looking at....il need a air compressor and the atual gravers, i dont know the first thing about airgravers so any advice on what i need would be helpful.
    I have a budget of £160 max....thanks.

The Artisan starts at $595. You'd need gravers (blanks or presharpened), a foot pedal for the Artisan and a compressor (an airbrush one will work) or other compressed gas source + regulators. Oh, and a sharpening system.
    Your £160 might be better put towards one of the Hand Engraving Association's short courses, TBH.

http://www.airgraver.com/Lindsay-AirGraver.htm

Yes i thought it looked that way Peter sadly, im just trying to think of an affordable way to have a assisted hand graver really, i wondered about a micromotor and a sharpened anvil point to carve with?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    The Artisan starts at $595. You'd need gravers (blanks or presharpened), a foot pedal for the Artisan and a compressor (an airbrush one will work) or other compressed gas source + regulators. Oh, and a sharpening system.
    Your £160 might be better put towards one of the Hand Engraving Association's short courses, TBH.

http://www.airgraver.com/Lindsay-AirGraver.htm
    Do i even need a airgraver or assisted graver to pave set? i would like to try and pave set but im on such a budget im just trying to work out how i can afford the things i need to do it, i was excited about the foredom hammer handpeice because i figured that was affordable and should work for carving metal for pave, but as my Foredom SR is apparently counterfiet im not sure it will work thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Do i even need a airgraver or assisted graver to pave set?
    Nope. Some relatively inexpensive hand-pushed scorpers are all you need to start with, the fancy tools are great but first principles are important.
    A round (or better, 3 different sizes) for lifting grains, an onglette/spitstick and a small flat are the main workhorses. A bullstick is nice for carving stone seats, especially when you get uneven stones to play with.
    It's not perhaps the easiest muscle memory to build, which is why I'd encourage getting some tuition.

Try the handpeice and see if it works most of the counterfeit items will work they just don't last as long an when they brake you just put them in the bin hopefully by then you can afford a genuine one
    you can also use a small hammer
    Last edited by china; 14-01-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Try the handpeice and see if it works most of the counterfeit items will work they just don't last as long an when they brake you just put them in the bin hopefully by then you can afford a genuine one
    you can also use a small hammer
    Thanks everyone.
    Just a thought, would this work for pave setting and engraving? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binglinghua...AEVHQPZM7Z64X3

to put it simply yes it would I don't know who or what Binglinghua is, Gravermate is a GRS brand