Thread: Copper discs

Default Copper discs

Anyone know where I can buy large copper discs from?

I'm talking sizes of 150mm diameter +.

I know I can pierce them from sheet but the accuracy won't be 100% and my disc cutter isn't large enough.

I'm wishing to experiment with sinking/raising copper bowls that I'm going to combine with wood which is why I need large sizes.

Cheers,

Nick

You could try emailing pewtercraft.co.uk I know they do pewter discs that size and I know they do copper and brass sheet so they may cut the circles for you. Worth a try.

As far as accuracy goes - pierce out the discs, staying to the outside of the scribe line. File a 45 degree bevel all the way around that just meets the scribe line, then file a lower bevel until the previous bevel disappears (looking at the reflected light on the bevel). Repeat that until you're filing perpendicular to the disc. Keep the file moving along the perimeter to even things out as you go, always watching the sliver of light on the edge - you're always trying to read where you've filed & get visual feedback.

TBH, while having perfect circles is a good start, when raising there's going to be some variation in the finished bowl that you'll probably want to either caulk pack or level off some other way (filing, cutting, sanding depending). Sunk bowls do benefit from neater edges admittedly - there's little to no movement in the perimeter.

Thanks everyone for your useful advice, which I'll now take up. Much appreciated.

Nick

Another thought rough cut the discs (knock the corners off), double sided tape to a timber face plate mount in the chuck on the wood lathe mark your diameter
    cut the disc through carefully with point of a skew chisel or a parting chisel ground nice and thin