Thread: best rolling mill?

Default best rolling mill?

Hi everyone
    I am wanting to buy a cheap combination rolling mill, The cheapest i have found is £130, but it is totally unbranded. The next one up is a brand called the proops brothers? i have not heard of them but i wondered if theres any harm going for a unbranded mill? Thanks

I am yet to invest in a rolling mill. Have my eyes on a Durston so have a lot of overtime to do in the dayjob to save up!

From what I have heard, you very much get what you pay for with rolling mills. Having said that, I have heard good things about the Cooksons value rolling mill for light to moderate use.

I recently bought a set of bracelet mandrels from Proops, having never purchased from then before. The surfaces were fine and they worked well. However, the centre had a very thick layer of rust that brought up a cloud every time I struck them! I needed then for a project I was doing and they were a fraction of the price of the better quality ones so haven't returned them. At some point, will soak them in WD40 and see if that helps . So based on that one experience I'd say their tools were functional, albeit of a lower quality as expected from the price.

Have no experience of the Proops rolling mills but hopefully someone else on the forum will know more about them.

Well, the only way to decide is to order one you fancy, from a company that will accept returns.

If you go to Cookson or Walsh, you will have the added assurance that they have been vetted to protect the company's good name. Dennis.

With rolling mills it as you say you get what you pay for, and if you are on a budget then a budget mill is probably better than no mill, just need to be aware than they have limitations and components may not
    last as long as one of the higher quality brands, having said that I visited a well respected jewellery manufacturer the other day only to see a cheep $300 Chinese machine in use, they said they bought it to train apprentices
    to save the "good ones" been there for three years in use every day and has not missed a beat

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    With rolling mills it as you say you get what you pay for, and if you are on a budget then a budget mill is probably better than no mill, just need to be aware than they have limitations and components may not
    last as long as one of the higher quality brands, having said that I visited a well respected jewellery manufacturer the other day only to see a cheep $300 Chinese machine in use, they said they bought it to train apprentices
    to save the "good ones" been there for three years in use every day and has not missed a beat
    Thank tou everyone, I think i might go for the Proops brothers mill as it has a 1 year warranty and the mill will only be for light use so i will see how it does and let you all know for future referance! Cheers!
    Niamh

Have you seen this could be a good start https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9778
    Last edited by china; 14-01-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks China! I have messaged him! xx

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Hi everyone
    I am wanting to buy a cheap combination rolling mill, The cheapest i have found is £130, but it is totally unbranded. The next one up is a brand called the proops brothers? i have not heard of them but i wondered if theres any harm going for a unbranded mill? Thanks
    I bought the Cookson value mill and it's great so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk