Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earring wires

Default Earring wires

Hi All,
    A couple of pairs of earrings I've made from Argentium. I have made the wires myself and formed the ball by torch.Do you think the balls are acceptable for hand made jewellery ? or do I need to try and get them a bit better ?
    Thanks,
    Richard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B1.jpg   D1.jpg  

I think the balls would look better "or more conventional" if they were more accurately centered, this just takes practice

Hi China,
    Thanks for your reply,by more accurately centered, do you mean less of a 'golf club ' shape ?
    Thanks ,
    Richard.

I think it depends on the design of the earring. Sometimes for my more quirky keum boo earrings I leave them like that. As Bob says it’s just a bit of practice on where to put the flame and turning the wire round if it doesn’t want to round off

Thanks Caroline,
    Never occurred to me to try turning the wire round , I'll give that a go Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RichL View Post
    Thanks Caroline,
    Never occurred to me to try turning the wire round , I'll give that a go Thanks.
    If I remember rightly too, once it starts to melt if you move the flame up the wire it seems to ball better, doing it in stages to the size you want. Of course I don’t use Argentium so it may be different. It is just a bit of trial and error

Thanks Caroline,

Actually, I think the balls look OK - it's hard to go wrong balling argentium (unlike sterling, which can end up looking, erm, very 'organic').

IMO it's the loops below them and the construction that's not quite right. The loops below would look better if they were smaller, and I think both designs would really benefit hugely from having a small jump ring between the wire and the dangle - this will make them hang better, give more movement, and look more finished. If you want to keep them facing 'forward' (which actually looks a bit odd on most ears), add an extra ring to change the orientation.

Hope you don't mind a bit of what's definitely meant to be constructive criticism.

Can I suggest you don't imitate stuff you could probably buy as cheaply (if you add in your time as a cost) and make something unique? While I may raise a tidal wave of wrath with this, I personally hate that design, to me it shouts 'amateur' maker even though I see them on even high end products. Make the hooks or other method of suspension part of your overall design and not just an afterthought to fix them to the ear lobe.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Well said Wendy. I was struggling to put that in to words and you've done it. Dennis.