Thread: Sievert Torch - what is best burner?

Default Sievert Torch - what is best burner?

Hi,

i've just bought the Sievert professional torch kit but am finding that the supplied burner (needle flame 3537) is too small for the general work i'm doing. Looking at other options what do you think would be the best burner to go for for it? i'm thinking of choosing between the 3939 17mm fine, the 3940 standard or the 3941 22mm standard.

At present i'm been making small bezels but want to move up to larger pieces including rings and bangles

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt welcome to the forum.
    I’ve rarely used anything but the middle one in 30 years, sorry but I don’t think the number is the same as being sold now. I only use the big one for cuffs and have only got used to the noise and the wee one is still in its box.
    Sorry this isn’t more specific

Hi Caroline,

when you say middle one, do you mean 22mm standard? ( they list here a 17mm, 22mm and 32mm)

I would think so Matt, I bought mine in 1979

I’ve just had to clean the nozzle and amazingly it’s the only number that’s the same as yours. So yes 3940 is the one I’d buy

Good to know they haven't changed much in 40 years. If it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Good to know they haven't changed much in 40 years. If it ain't broke...
    Many people hate it but it suits my needs, I might need to upgrade at some point. It was scaring the bejesus out of me a few times by suddenly flaring but I boiled the nozzle in washing soda and tightened everything and touch wood it’s been fine since, famous last words

Seems comforting to know I've bought a classic design! 3940 it is then! Thank you very much to you all.

Matt

and a special mention to Karen in sales for her patience and who directed me here

Quote Originally Posted by MattJones View Post
    Seems comforting to know I've bought a classic design! 3940 it is then! Thank you very much to you all.

Matt
    Hi Matt,
    I know this was a while ago but just wondering if you went for the 3940 and how you’ve found it?
    I’ve done exactly the same as you and got the teeny needle flame which is no good for annealing and bigger jobs. Great for soldering jump rings!
    Many thanks,
    Alexis

Hi Alexis
    I’ve had mine for decades and I don’t think the needle burner has ever been out of the box! The medium burner meets all my needs except cuffs and then I have to use the flamethrower as I call it which scares the bejesus out of me