Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question that will have been asked before

Default A question that will have been asked before

Hi. I am a newcomer and have been using a borrowed Dremel. It runs out of puff and I am looking to invest in either a pendant or micro motor. I am fairly familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of each but would appreciate the advice and experience of others. My work at the moment produces rings and pendants. Thanks.

Most of us use Foredom pendant motors or micromotors.

I personally have the SR model along with a variery of accessories to go with it such as different handpieces, sander etc.

Advantages are many, not least reliability, power and variable speed controlled by a.foot pedal.

I also have a dremel but I use it more for wood than jewellery tbh.

Cheers,

Nick

I also have the SR pendant motor but am far from being an expert. I like the foot control and the fact you can change the handpieces - have the quick release H20 and the chuck key version H30 so can use shaft diameters of up to 3mm. I can see why the micromotors might be easier for fine control as the cable looks more flexible than the flex shaft. However, I'm very happy with mine.

Another thing to consider is whether you plan to get a hammer handpiece in the future. I believe the micromotor versions are significantly more expensive but think I read on this forum that you can get engraving tips for them, which you can't do on the flex shaft version. Anyone why actually knows, please feel free to correct me!?

Tess

I have a foredom micromotor. I find it light to use and you have the choice of using the pedal or the dial on the control box. Cookson now stock them and it’s much cheaper but as Tess said if you want to buy the hammer action handpiece it’s the same price as the original kit. I’m waiting to see if Cookson start to stock that as well.
    Peter did mention other micromotors in a post a few days ago

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I have a foredom micromotor. I find it light to use and you have the choice of using the pedal or the dial on the control box. Cookson now stock them and it’s much cheaper but as Tess said if you want to buy the hammer action handpiece it’s the same price as the original kit. I’m waiting to see if Cookson start to stock that as well.
    Peter did mention other micromotors in a post a few days ago
    Thank you for all your replies - so quick! It is really difficult knowing which way to turn. The Foredom micromotor is £70 more expensive than the cheapest Foredom SR (Cousins) and doesn't have the stash of mops etc that come in the package. The micromotor would be much more convenient for me until I get a dedicated workspace but the pendant motor seems to have such a well proven track record, as well as the cheaper hammer head. I need to take stock and give some more serious thought.

Thanks again

Ian

I have recently bought korean micromotor Strong (not too popular here but I got my from Russian supplier for dental clinics...) original not fake. working really nicely . totally happy with it and got cheap pilar drill from amazon costed me 50£ and it's a mini one... so can use small drill bits, and it has same shaft as marathon if I need to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    Thank you for all your replies - so quick! It is really difficult knowing which way to turn. The Foredom micromotor is £70 more expensive than the cheapest Foredom SR (Cousins) and doesn't have the stash of mops etc that come in the package. The micromotor would be much more convenient for me until I get a dedicated workspace but the pendant motor seems to have such a well proven track record, as well as the cheaper hammer head. I need to take stock and give some more serious thought.

Thanks again

Ian
    Have you looked at Cookson prices compared to Cousin, I haven’t compared but Cookson seemed generally cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Have you looked at Cookson prices compared to Cousin, I haven’t compared but Cookson seemed generally cheaper?
    Hi Caroline.

From what I can find on the web, the Foredom SR quick release with a package of mops etc. is £299.99 at Cooksongold and £225 at Cousins. The Foredom K1070 micromotor (without any mops) is £366 at Cooksongold and £295 at Cousins. I see other makes that are listed primarily as dental equipment and which are probably used for jewellery but I am always nervous of buying cheaper and regretting later. I like and try to buy from reputable and well-established companies even though there may be a slight premium as the after sales service is generally better and also "use it or lose it". Foredom seems to be the most popular make but I may be wrong.

At the end of the day, I know I have to decide one way or the other! At the moment, my borrowed Dremel is used for rings and pendants (mainly rub-over bezels) but I would like something that will stand me in good stead for something larger.

I have used neither pendant nor micromotor so with the money involved, this stage of research has to be as thorough as it can be within reason. I am retired and took up making jewellery in the first instance as a hobby making for family and friends, although I would like to think I could become good enough to sell. I love it - not only the creation of something but having finally joined the forum, the passionate community I have found myself in.

Ian

Well, whichever you choose they will be a million times better than a Dremel.

Most jewellers have a flex shaft, which goes on for years with very little trouble. The other advantage is that, at least for Foredom, it is not too expensive to add a hammer handpiece later.
    The downside is the heavy flexible arm, the need to hang it up, and for some models the clunky burr change.
    So make sure your handpiece does not require a separate key.

The micromotor is a more recent innovation and those for jewellers have the motor in the handpiece,and only a thin lead to the control box. They can be very cheap from Korea or China, or very expensive. The cheap ones can cost less than£100 and could be considered disposable if they break down. That said, mine is beginning its fourth year with no trouble. I bought it as a spare and liked it so much that I use it daily.

Be aware that if buying from Cousins you will not get any after sales service and find them difficult in case of a defect.

Don't be seduced by the 'package', because you will soon collect your favourite tools, and some items will never be used. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. I see I have joined a long list of newbies you have given help to. Your advice is noted and much appreciated. I'm getting there!
    Ian