Thread: RT blanking system

Default RT blanking system

Does any of you fine fellows have one of these gathering dust they would like to sell?

No, You really don't need all that gear as you can soon learn to cut the blanking tools by eye alone.

The real problem is how to cut the blanks cleanly:
    Using a heavy hammer.
    using a vice.
    using an arbour press.
    using a hydraulic press.
    using a fly press.
    The lower solutions are the better, but all can be slow, so negating the purpose. In addition the system nibbles around the edge of a sheet, leaving lots of waste. There is also a limit to the thickness that can be cut.

All in all I think it has been superseded by laser cutting and there are many firms offering this service to jewellers. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blanking Tool.jpg  

You are absolutely right Dennis, I have looked into laser cutting but really want to try my hand at making my own pancake dies. I already have a 20T hydraulic press so the cutting isn't a problem. I'll keep looking

One (ish) way to do blanks without an RT (or Knew Concepts saw) is to source a benchpeg that can tilt, or use wooden wedges on top of the peg to hold the metal at an angle. It's easier to hold a saw vertically than it is to judge a precise angle.
    For Japanese inlay work I tilt the saw, but it's not a critical angle (about 15 degrees) so if I'm off it's not much of an issue.

I have an RT system that's gathering dust quietly on the shelf of shame....

Hello George,
    Ahhhh that shelf of shame, the jewellers equivalent to the kitchen cabinet that holds the likes of the boiled egg slicer, breville sandwich toaster and electric spaghetti fork (or is that just me)?
    However, if you would like to clear a space on your shelf I would be interested.

Thanks, Mark