Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with maintaining oxidisation in recess

Default Help with maintaining oxidisation in recess

Happy New Year everyone.
    I would really like some advice on how to maintain some oxidisation in the recesses of a silver ring.
    I made some rings with a deep laser hallmark on the outside and have tried various methods of making it stand out.
    Using platinol and also using some stamping ink. Can you advise on the best way to keep the black colour? I'm attaching a photo to show you the ring.
    I wondered if there was a liquid sealant i could paint into the recess? The edges of the hallmark are a bit sharp, so can't really use a cloth to rub a waxy sealant into it, so is there a liquid?
    Thanks so much for your help. I made a ring for a member of family, and the blank ink i used has already come off. I know this can be googled, but i'd rather get advice from the experts.
    sue
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNR78-Hallmarked-silver-ring_4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	11776

Also, just to say I did read the thread on her on how to keep your silver black, but I think that was discussing black silver on the outside, rather than recesses. I saw the link for the liquid, but has anyone tried it for recesses? Thanks again.

Maybe look at the low/temp enamels they can be sanded and polished

Or this https://www.jewellerssupplies.com.au/page/22/u-namel

I do not know who sells it in the UK or as I have recently discovered you could have Black Ruthenium plated or set yourself up to do it would not be practical for a one off, over time it will wear off
    although being below the surface it would most likely take a fair amount of time.

Just o add if you have it plated you will have polish off the outside plating or there maybe some type of resist you can use
    Last edited by china; 02-01-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Ah, that's really interesting. I hadn't really thought of going down the enamel route. I will definitely investigate it.

Susie if you go the u-namel way experiment on some unimportant items first it can be a bit tricky but once you are au fait with it is a breeze
    you can use it in cases that won't accept the heat needed for glass enamel ( it is basically the same as the dentist uses for no metallic fillings)

Thinking about it, I don't think this is the way to go. I don't want to fill the recess, as it's quite a shallow shelf, due to it being laser cut. I definitely want to just blacken it, but try and seal it somehow. I looked at the kernowcraft sealant, so may try a small bottle of that, but if there are any other suggestions for just sealing the blackened silver, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks again

Once it’s oxidised surely it stays black anyway? Or are you finding that a silver polishing cloth is getting into the recess too much & taking it off while you shine up the rest of the ring?
    Hazel

Susie, when you darken a recessed background, it might wear away a little due to customisation by the wearer, but if the agent is permanent and waterproof, it should not disappear.

Just try again, first removing residues with alcohol, or meths.
    Then use some Platinol applied sparingly with a size 00 synthetic brush and neutralise with bicarbonate solution. Rub away any surface surplus with a silver cloth wrapped around a finger (never mind any snags). You can bring up the colour with a little wax or oil applied with a finger.
    That's all it needs really.

You might have seen my recent thumb ring in Show and tell, done like this, except that I used Noirit (a similar product, but you get more for your money) Dennis.

I use a wooden cocktail stick for intricate areas with platinol.
    You could always get in touch with Alan Hadley at Geti, I’m sure he would advise. https://www.geti.co/titanium-rings/