Thread: Graver handle shape

Default Graver handle shape

Hello everyone. Hope you're having a good festive season.

I have just signed myself up for the stone setting coure with Tony Tigg in Faversham. Very excited!

Have been given a list of gravers to buy (no 21 bull stick, no 11 flat edge, no 2 spitz stick and no 6 round edge), which we will be taught how to prepare on the course. Have also been asked to get the graver handles. As there are a number of different shapes I don't know which ones to go for? Have size 6.5 / medium glove size hands if that helps?! have never used a graver / scorper before.

Sadly don't have time to pop to Hatton Gardens on a week day to try the handle shapes out before the course

Any advice most appreciated!

T

I use these shape graver handles, I find them comfortable and long lasting, it's the length of the graver blades that need to be altered to suit the size of your hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	404 Scorper 1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	11775

James

Thanks James!

Also, I can only find size 10 or size 12 flat edge gravers and not the size 11 they recommended. Would you go up or down in size? I presume they are for bright cutting but not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Also, I can only find size 10 or size 12 flat edge gravers and not the size 11 they recommended. Would you go up or down in size? I presume they are for bright cutting but not sure...
    I would go for size 12, you can always reduce it's width on a stone if needed, but the size difference between the size 10 and size 12 is only 0.2mm. Also bear in mind if you carry on using these tools you will be buying many more different sizes and shapes.

James

Thanks James
    Will see how I get on.
    Tess x