Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandbag, gritbag

Default Sandbag, gritbag

Been enjoying hammering shapes on wood so much that i'm really interested in trying to shape pendants perhaps up to 2 inches in length on a sandbag. Notice cookson has one
    https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...bag&channel=uk

and also several grit bags which sounds tempting.
    https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...bag&channel=uk

Does anyone else use these to shape metal? How do you find working with them?

I use one for forming; made it myself from some belly hide I had around (a cheaper cut than a shoulder, a bit stretchier and often more marked).
    How easy they are to work with depends on how packed they are. I had used one that was packed solid which was great for engraving (block of wood on top of the sandbag), but less great for forming.
    You can also use end grain of pine for some forming tasks - I've got a 4x4 block that I use for sinking where the depression is basically hammered in (as opposed to a stump, where I'd expect to carve it out).

Or go James Millers route and melt scraps of lead in an old tobacco tin. Dennis.

As Dennis said, I use a lead block for shaping items, I did start with just a small tobacco tin with melted lead scraps inside, but then I moved on to making lead ingots using a steel ingot mold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Lead block&Ingot mold.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	11773 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19 Lead block.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	11774 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 Starting hammering leaf shape.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	11770 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07 hammering leaf rear.jpg 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	11771 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 The leaf textured and engraved.jpg 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	11772

James

I got myself a lead block when James suggested it a couple of years ago and love it- thank you James

On this topic, I've just had a thought.

If anyone wishes to use wood to form their creations, but who dont neccessarily have the tools to create the depression then by all means let me know.

As long as the work piece is posted to me and the postage is covered, then I'm happy to help out and do the carving bit F.O.C.

My jobs are always a mixture of metal and wood these days so its no hardship for me to assist anyone. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi peter, thanks for the reply. I don't think i'll be making a sand bag but i admire your ingenuity. Using a peice of end grain pine and hammering in forms was very interesting that may well be something i will try. Best wishes for the new year, sheena

Hi james, i came across your photo tutorial on ganoskin of your lead block. It looks brill but i haven't a hope of making my own. Something for the future perhaps

If you can find a copy of this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Me.../dp/1929565496 - at a more sensible price then it's worthwhile.
    It's probably fairly worthwhile at £50, but it goes against the grain to pay over the cover price for a recent publication.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    On this topic, I've just had a thought.

If anyone wishes to use wood to form their creations, but who dont neccessarily have the tools to create the depression then by all means let me know.

As long as the work piece is posted to me and the postage is covered, then I'm happy to help out and do the carving bit F.O.C.

My jobs are always a mixture of metal and wood these days so its no hardship for me to assist anyone. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Nick
    That's a lovely offer. I will certainly bear it in mind. At the moment i'm using a bread board with depressions cut with that old mortise chisel i found and posted on here. I sharpened it up with some sand paper. Hoping to make some jewellery with it too hopefully. Will either work or not