Thread: What kind of setting is this, and how is it done?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What kind of setting is this, and how is it done?

I have come across jewellery with stones set in an interesting way. I like it a lot, but can't find anything about how it's done. I don't know if it's because it's not very popular or because I don't know what keywords to use.

Photos attached.
    I can only think about gluing the bezel (?) to the stone.
    The photos are of rather expensive jewellery. While I assume it might not be done in a traditional way, I'd think the setting is at least somewhat strong/long lasting.

As an aside, would using glue generally be a good idea for such non traditional settings? I have seen other settings where there doesn't seem to be any metal actually holding the stone. I'd like to experiment with ways to expose more stone or present it in a more creative way, but I don't want to make something that's going to break right away.

I'd really appreciate any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1017733_bk_xl.jpg   1026375_cu_pp.jpg   1100889_in_xl.jpg   1100886_in_xl (1).jpg   237283940alt2.jpg  

Last edited by JaneDoe; 28-12-2018 at 07:16 PM.

I've been meaning to ask about this too. I'm interested in flat faced/sliced stones with a band of silver round the side level with the faces. How's it done?

Well no one is about to admit that they have an auntie who works for the company, so we can just take one to bits to find out, or make some informed guesses, such as:

1. A friction fit assisted with glue, or
    2. Small spikes glued into holes which pass through the rim and into the stone, or
    3. A hardened metal rim sprung into a shallow groove,or a combination of the above, etc.

But I'm sure you know that already. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well no one is about to admit that they have an auntie who works for the company, so we can just take one to bits to find out, or make some informed guesses, such as:

1. A friction fit assisted with glue, or
    2. Small spikes glued into holes which pass through the rim and into the stone, or
    3. A hardened metal rim sprung into a shallow groove,or a combination of the above, etc.

But I'm sure you know that already. Dennis.
    Sounds like it requires a bit of trial and error.

My guess would be glue is involved.
    generally using glue is considered poor practise but pearls are set with glue....
    I suppose it would depend really, if its a fragile stone anyway then perhaps it doesn't matter too much.

Im no expert, but I'm going with the glue theory also.

Cheers,

Nick