Thread: question about the N3 MARATHON III micro-motor

Default question about the N3 MARATHON III micro-motor

hi,

i have a quick question: i bought the N3 MARATHON III from dentalplaza, and it came with a non-UK rounded two-pin plug, like on a toothbrush charger. can anybody who owns one of these machines/set-ups tell me how to power it? i know the 110-220v/50hz rating is safe, i just don't know how to plug it it to a standard UK 3-prong socket. will a basic "shaver" adapter work? most of those come fitted with a 1amp fuse... i'm somewhat confused here.

Is that a Europlug? "Proper" adaptors are available (although I might be tempted to chop the plug off & fit a 3 pin with the correct fuse, but that's just me); strictly, it should have been supplied with one - there are some neat ones around that bolt the 2 pin plug into a 3 pin shell with little more bulk than a normal plug.

E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pin-Euro-Pl.../dp/B00GR2WNO6

thanks very much for the reply!

i bought it here (product page):

dentalplaza.co.uk/Marathon-N3S-Handpiece-S05-Micro-Motor-16216-dental.html

it's a chinese machine, but the site says it ships from germany, so i'm guessing it's fitted with a europlug -- the rounded prongs can be seen there in the second picture.

Oh gods - that's the lot who ripped the photos off from the Aberdeen School of Dentistry... I should have recognised the name.
    https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9605

That does look like a Europlug.

You only need 0.5amps and many travel adaptors will accept the two pin plug. If you have an electrical shop near you such as Ryness, they will have something suitable and probably let you try it in.

From your link it looks as if you also have a contra angle handpiece, which is useful in tight spaces and much easier to control for accuracy. However you will need to find the shorter latch type burrs and drills, also known as RA to fit it, from a dental or veterinary supply company. Do not buy FG, or ultra high speed, but look for the notch.

Dennis.

Dennis, where are you seeing an angled handpiece? All I can see in that link is the usual straight handpiece, which comes with a 2.35mm collet as standard, but can be ordered with a 3.0mm collet instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Dennis, where are you seeing an angled handpiece? All I can see in that link is the usual straight handpiece, which comes with a 2.35mm collet as standard, but can be ordered with a 3.0mm collet instead.
    It came up here Peter, but obviously I might have the wrong page:https://www.dentalplaza.co.uk/Marath...01-dental.html

Anyhow, it's an inexpensive way to try out RA burrs (Called burs in dental parlance), but they are difficult to source, as dental companies keep a low profile. Dennis.

https://www.dentalplaza.co.uk/Marath...16-dental.html was the link I followed.
    I have a fair number of 1.6mm FG bur(r)s for a pneumatic handpiece.

thank you, both. yes, the handpiece is the normal straight-type. i'm more confident about the power requirements now. later, after the machine is tested and in use, i'll have the plug cut off and replaced.

the micro-motor is a holiday gift to someone several weeks in to a jewelry-making course who wanted tools (and suggested a dremel) for working outside of class time. all of it is alien to me, but i chose the micro-motor after some research. hope it goes over well! thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by davos982; 21-12-2018 at 12:12 PM.