Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Very Different Rings.

Default Two Very Different Rings.

The first is a result of my staring at jewellery on buses. It will get me into trouble one day. It has a woven mount made from very thin sterling strips, backed by textured metal and framed.

There is a bezel set 8.00mm turquoise.

With rather a lot going on, I did not use my usual adjustable ring shank, but kept it very plain. At the back there are two little strips of D-shaped wire to cut between, should it need to be adjustable in future.

Strips for weaving: 2.20mm wide x 0.35 thick. Metal for shank: 1.10mm Thick.

The second is a thumb ring for a young man, using two strips of metal, sweated together. The background was roll textured with coarse fabric, while the top layer was textured with paper and pierced with a series of triangles, joined at their bases, six in all.

After forming the ring and soldering the join, I applied Noirit to the background with a brush, drilled the triangles and flush set some 2.0mm black diamonds.

Layers of silver: 1.10mm thick for the background. 0.80mm thick for the triangles.
    Width of ring; 7.00mm

A very happy Christmas to the staff at Cooksons our super moderator and all our members. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tdr 1 Woven Ring.jpg   Tdr 2 Woven ring Reverse2.jpg   Tdr 3 Thumb Ring.jpg  

They look lovely Dennis. Did you choose turquoise for December or just because it's a great colour? I'm also liking the use of a mirror in the last photograph. Great way to see all of your handiwork

lovely rings... and good excuse: "... just was starring at your jewelry... ;-)hmmm """". nicely done!

Nice rings looks like a fair bit time went into them

What is this Noirit stuff is it superior to liver of sulphur, I can't seem to find any info on it other than Cookson sell it and appear to package it

Thanks for looking, folks. The turquoise was chosen on request, but I found that it went well with the pale silver background I got from hot alum pickle.

You get an awful lot of Noirit for your money. It's still my original bottle from 2014 and does not seem to have deteriorated.
    Here is the thread I posted then: https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/ar...hp?t-6170.html Dennis.

I'll be completely honest (I'm sure you'd expect no less Dennis), and say that whilst I admire the workmanship and construction of the turquoise one, I don't especially like it.

The thumb ring, on the other hand, I absolutely love. I'd wear that in a heartbeat.

(sorry, just spotted the awful pun)

Thank you George. How to get it made is the most interesting part for me. One thing I've learned here is that there is a huge spread of interests and opinions and yet we can all be friends. Don't mention Br..it though. Dennis.

Noirit looks interesting nobody has even heard of it down here, I may as well have been having a conversation with a gum tree
    Last edited by china; 11-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.

I really like the turquiose one. Thanks for listing the thickness of silver you're using. For a beginner what gauge/mm to use is still a bit of a mystery. I made a few things in silver where my metal has been too thin and another project where it made no differance to the look going thicker.

Thank you Sheena. You can make sheet look thicker by bevelling the edge slightly so that it shows more too. Dennis.