Thread: Jewellers anvil

Default Jewellers anvil

My new anvil made in Victoria (Australia) very high quality inexplicably better than the various foreign examples that can be had

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010301.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	11708
    Last edited by china; 04-12-2018 at 04:36 AM.

That's a beauty. Hope you get lots of pleasure using it. Dennis.

Well done on your new purchase and it looks great!

I use a heavy engineers vice with a large flat section for my anvil type work, but yours is a better solution.

I'm also still trying to leverage a full size century old iron anvil out of a farmer friend of mine but they never seem to want to part with them!

Nick

I have 100 kilo + one in the shed, it is a bit big for my bench

That is a nice one. I have anvil envy but at the moment trying to move everything round to create a bit of bench space, can’t fill it in again! How big is it?

120 mm long
    19 mm wide
    47 mm high
    foot is 55 mm x 36 mm

Looks good! Being made in Australia I hope it's more trustworthy than this one:

(Maybe the clue is never buy a painted one)

There's a class of anvils known to some smiths as ASOs - Anvil Shaped Objects. They include those made from cast iron, mild steel and rail track. None of them have a good rebound and some of the cast iron ones can be prone to cracking apart (especially if you really hammer on them).

If all you need is a hard surface to do some riveting on then they'll probably do, but a nice hardened steel anvil is a joy to use by comparison. I have a nice old 2.5cwt (~125kg) as well as a less nice 40kg anvil - my laptop anvil - which was bought new from Vaughns; never been entirely happy with the hardness of the face on that, although it's OK in a pinch.

BTW - not all anvils look like traditional anvils. Some of the tinsmiths stakes make useful small anvils; post anvils can be very effective if you don't need a horn and so on.

Thinking about it, I may have one that size around too... Wonder where I've put it?

It is only a little bench anvil although it is surprising how much use they can be, ( my last one disintegrated turned out to be some type metal honeycomb it came from that big country on the border of Pakistan ) i am trying to convince him to make some quality hammers, I will most likely get rough casting and finish them myself