Thread: Twist ring and a question

Default Twist ring and a question

Hi

Just made this new design for a customer which Im really pleased with.
    However I did have a bit of a problem in that the angle of the stone moved as I set it- it was meant to be a tighter 45 degrees.
    I couldn't get it back in place without risking breaking it and the customer is happy so Ive left it as it is.
    However, does anybody have any advice how I might avoid it happening next time?
    Silver would probably be ok as there is less pressure needed to push the bezel over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lorrainesapphirering2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	11566

What's not to like? I'm glad the customer accepted it Sarah. I suspect that the angle changed because the free ends of the shank moved right and left, so tilting the setting.

Using a thinner bezel with a thicker back plate might possibly have helped, or burying the whole shank in lots of polymorph for setting. Regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis

Either would probably work thanks for that, although the customer didn't want a backplate on this so that didn't help matters I think.
    I forget about the polymorph, its unopened in my drawer

That's very nice, don't have enough experience to offer suggestions mind :-)

I think the end result is beautiful.

If I had been making this ring I think I’d have attempted to hold the bezel whilst setting in order to provide some stability.

Cheers,

Nick

I made something similar, 3 times....In the end I soldered 2 small sprues infront of and behind the setting position first. Then soldered the setting in place. Completed everything step by step, set the stone, then removed the sprues and finished those 4 little areas last.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Poor old Les