Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which DSLR camera?

Default Which DSLR camera?

Hello

I'm thinking about investing in a decent camera to better document my and my friends adventures / climbing / lives. I am not the slightest bit techie so didn't know what to look for therefore I have looked to friends for assistance.
    As I am not very techy I don't want a complicated camera or one that's heavy however having looked at both reviews, both appear to be light weight .
    I have had compact/bridge cameras in the past and enjoy taking photographs so I am wanting to get more creative with photography but more importantly want a clearer more detailed photogrpah.

I have been hesitating these days, until today I decided to choose Nikon digital SLR camera series.

I hesitate in the following cameras. Which one do you think is better? https://thedigitalcamera.net/best-nikon-dslr-camera/
    I am very anxious, please help me, thank you.

Given this forum is focused (no pun intended) on jewellery making, I'd say that a good macro lens is more important than the camera body. Camera bodies are constantly being updated, but the lens line up is more rarely changed. One thing with Nikon is you should be able to use older lenses with no issues - I've got a 55mm macro manual lens that I use on mine, for example. I also have a more modern 105mm f2.8 that is my usual go-to.

As for your requirements of documenting adventures/climbing/lives etc. there are sites better suited to that than this one. I'd not want to take a DSLR climbing, for example - I'd prefer not to carry the extra weight.

For table top photography, you will also need a tripod, or if there is no room, a way to clamp your camera to the table.

I have a Manfrotto Magic arm but it drives me mad, needing regular adjustment of the tension using Alan keys, or it can droop suddenly, so endangering the camera. Avoid. Dennis.

roxics,
    are you actually intending to take pictures of jewellery? Or are you just looking for general camera advice, in which case a photography forum might be the more appropriate place to direct your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    Hello

I'm thinking about investing in a decent camera to better document my and my friends adventures / climbing / lives. I am not the slightest bit techie so didn't know what to look for therefore I have looked to friends for assistance.
    As I am not very techy I don't want a complicated camera or one that's heavy however having looked at both reviews, both appear to be light weight .
    I have had compact/bridge cameras in the past and enjoy taking photographs so I am wanting to get more creative with photography but more importantly want a clearer more detailed photogrpah.
    Hi folks,
    I have seen some affordable cameras for sale and was wondering what type / brand of lens you would recommend for close ups of jewellery/ metal items? I know next to nothing about the subject.Did I mention...? I'm not a millionaire.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Last edited by NickD; 13-12-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Look for name brand lenses - Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Tamron. For smaller objects I like a 105mm (ish) that can focus close; larger objects - bowls and the likes - I can either go further back or switch to a shorter lens.

I can't speak so much for other brands - been using Nikon for 30 or so years - but because the mount has stayed the same on Nikon, I can fit older lenses and use them still. Many of the whizzier features may not work - metering being the usual victim - but they still function, albeit basically sometimes. I've just been messing with attaching my Nikon body to my scope trinocular - the scope's from the 70s (and is also Nikon) and is one of the only ones around where you can set the trinocular view to either left or right lens (so stereo microphotography becomes an option).

Camera bodies come and go (not quite on an annual cycle, but close to it). Good glass is there for a lifetime. Find a lens you like, whether new or second-hand - check the reviews - and then worry about what body to fit it to.

In, as always, my opinion.

Depends on what you intend to take you pictures for. If it is to record your work and post pictures on a web site, you might get all you need from a modern compact camera, which will also double for social purposes.

Stick with either Nikon or Canon and study the hand book and you will build up a knowledge base for that marque that can still be used should you upgrade in the future. You might start with the fully automatic function and gradually experiment with the others.

Read the reviews on line and aim for a mid range price within you budget. Superseded models will be cheaper.

There are many online tutorials on 'table top photography', 'product photography' and 'photographing jewellery'. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Hi folks,
    I have seen some affordable cameras for sale and was wondering what type / brand of lens you would recommend for close ups of jewellery/ metal items? I know next to nothing about the subject.Did I mention...? I'm not a millionaire.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    The few people I know who are photography enthusiasts tell me a PRIME lens gives the best quality photos.

what-is-a-prime-lens-why-use-one