Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which DSLR camera?

A prime lens has only one focal length i.e. no zoom, so to get closer you have to move closer and to get further away you have to move away. A prime lens will produce a sharper better quality image due to fact there are no moving lenses inside equals less bits and pieces for the light to bounce around and create distortion.

If you are used to using a compact / bridge camera and want to have better photos than you took before, how about just investing in a higher quality compact camera. I have a lot of experience with photography and have many cameras and lenses, these include Nikon DSLR cameras with Nikkor lenses. But in recent times I have been using a Lumix LX5 compact and a Lumix FZ45 bridge camera. Both have fine quality Leica lenses and I get fine quality photos of both close up and standard wide angle shots.
    I just took these close up photos of a ring I made using my Lumix LX5, taken by a window with just daylight for lighting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 Hilary's ring.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	11715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Hilary's ring.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	11716

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    If you are used to using a compact / bridge camera and want to have better photos than you took before, how about just investing in a higher quality compact camera. I have a lot of experience with photography and have many cameras and lenses, these include Nikon DSLR cameras with Nikkor lenses. But in recent times I have been using a Lumix LX5 compact and a Lumix FZ45 bridge camera. Both have fine quality Leica lenses and I get fine quality photos of both close up and standard wide angle shots.
    I just took these close up photos of a ring I made using my Lumix LX5, taken by a window with just daylight for lighting.

Name:	04 Hilary's ring.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	11715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Hilary's ring.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	11716

James
    Thank you so much everyone.This is certainly the place to come. You've all given me plenty to think about.
    Nick

Just for interest here are a couple of photos of the same set up taken with different cameras for comparison.

One taken with my Lumix FZ45 at f8 and the other with a Nikon DSLR fitted with a nikkor 60mm. macro lens, both photos taken hand held in daylight, cost difference between cameras circa £1000.

Name:	191 test shot Lumix FZ45.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	11719 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190 test shot Nikon DSLR+Micro.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	11720

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Just for interest here are a couple of photos of the same set up taken with different cameras for comparison.

One taken with my Lumix FZ45 at f8 and the other with a Nikon DSLR fitted with a nikkor 60mm. macro lens, both photos taken hand held in daylight, cost difference between cameras circa £1000.

Name:	191 test shot Lumix FZ45.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	11719 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190 test shot Nikon DSLR+Micro.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	11720

James
    I think the Lumix would be fine for my use but what extra lens would I need for shots like those?
    I ask because I've seen several of these cameras for sale on ebay.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Last edited by NickD; 15-12-2018 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    I think the Lumix would be fine for my use but what extra lens would I need for shots like those?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick, My Lumix FZ45 has a fitted Leica Zoom lens and It has a decent close focus and my photo was taken with the standard fitted lens, if you do buy one just make sure that it has a Leica lens. This is my Lumix; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-L...rds=lumix+fz45

If I was looking to buy a newer model I would consider this one; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-D...s=lumix+fz1000

Cheers,
    James

I thought I would post a selection of photos taken with my Lumix cameras, I have two, both fitted with Leica lenses.

Name:	My Lumix cameras 10.4.13.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	11731 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44 Opal white Chrysanths Lumix.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	11732 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21 Close up.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	11733 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16 Catherine's silver ring 1.jpg 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	11734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24 Lumix rose.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	11735

James

Thanks,
    Nick
    Sorry, rereading this it seems I'm asking my original question again and disregarding e.one's advice. I'm not. As I said, I know v little about photography. When you said " a Lumix FZ45 at f8", does that mean with a standard- non macro- lens?
    (Hope this reads better :O/)

Sorry, rereading this it seems I'm asking my original question again and disregarding e.one's advice. I'm not. As I said, I know v little about photography. When you said " a Lumix FZ45 at f8", does that mean with a standard- non macro- lens?
    (Hope this reads better :O/)
    Yes the photo was taken with the standard Leica zoom lens that is fitted to this camera, this camera does not have interchangable lenses. For close up photography I set the camera program knob on A, which means aperture priority and by turning the control wheel at the rear of the camera I can choose whatever aperture I want and for close ups, the higher the aperture number the greater the depth of field, so more of your photo is in focus.
    I hope this makes sense Nick.

James

Perfect James. Thanks for your explanations. I wanted to make sure before buying.
    Cheers,
    Nick