Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire question - enamel/sterling/plated

I never use coloured wire on its own. I occasionally use anodised wire for jump rings, but only as an accent, and the colours tend to be quite subtle (and to match with silver extremely well). Even then, I tend only to use them for specific commissions. For most things, I stick to metals which are coloured naturally - with the exception of occasionally using gold fill (again, usually for commissions). I love the look of anodised aluminium for large pieces, but I'd want to do it myself, and I haven't the time to learn, or the capital to add more stuff to my equipment wishlist!

As for wire tempers, I would stick to dead soft. It's pretty easy to work harden the gauges you're looking at, but if you haven't got a torch or kiln (or hot oven) then you can't anneal it. In fact, I would say the chamois trick would harden wire rather than softening it. Bear in mind that heat hardening temperatures are far lower than annealing, and as has already been pointed out, you need to keep the metal at a cherry red glow for annealing, which is just not going to happen without a heat source.

For findings, I try to always use findings to match the bulk of the piece itself. I make most of my own, and always make my own for copper or brass (they're almost impossible to buy). I don't generally seal copper unless it's requested, in which case I use Renaissance wax. I prefer the look of naturally oxidised copper, but do explain to customers how to restore the 'bright penny' look if they want it.

btw, if you're buying sterling wire, wires are a lot more expensive than getting it straight from Cookson's - especially with a freepost on!

I bought some coloured enamel wire on a whim but I've only used it for "messing about".
    It's too thin for anything structural so I think I'd only use it if I was asked.
    Personally, I need something that marks less easily.
    It does look so darn pretty though.

Thanks for all the very useful comments, guys. I've ordered from Cookies (thanks G!) some more .6, some .8 and some 1mm soft wire. That way I've got everything covered in my junior status as a wrapper, or is that rapper plus I can do headpins and possibly earwires.

unfortunately, instead of doing more jewellery stuff which I'd love to do, I've got to do some gardening bloody chores. I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to source the fixings for a curtain rail that had come down and didn't manage that either - it really p's me off when I want to do 'my' stuff and ending up doing other stuff! moan moan - ok whinge over.

back later

Love, Jules x

Hi Jules,

I think that coloured enamel wires could look fab if you embrace the fact that they are modern and design something along comtemporary lines to compliment that.
    Have a look at Lisa Van Herik, Woven Wire Studio online (not allowed to send you the url cos I am a newbie lol)

Having said that, a few years ago I was making a necklace out of antique black glass beads in a mad rush for a wedding (v trad looking) and ran out of sterling wire, no time to order online, had to run to a hobby shop to buy some plated but they had run out and I came out with enamel coated wire in olive green and felt pretty desperate about it
    After messing around with it for an hour or so I came up with something that I was really pleased with. I actually like it better than if I'd made it with sterling as it produced a more subtle effect, and I still wear it now if I'm out somewhere posh

I'd have a surf around for inspiration & try out something wacky.....u never know what you'll create!

J x
    ps. I've annealled wire (carefully) over my gas hob before now when I can't be bothered to get all my stuff out.

Hi Jules

Hope you dont mind my two pennys worth, I think as the others have said wire wrapping with enamel wires is a no no cos the pliers wiil mark the enamel but it can look good just use it as an accent instead of a stone or bead maybe, also the more you use silver wire the harder it becomes so even if you buy soft it will start to go hard as you wrap, maybe use the 0.8 to begin with and wrap onto the 0.1 i personally find the 0.4 to thin.

Question annealing in the oven

Thanks Jo and Jayne for the further info. Thanks Jayne for the link, which I've posted here for others to view. Fab designs.
    !

Lisa Van Herik, Woven Wire Studio

So I can anneal stuff in my electric oven then??? How on earth do I do that??

Jules x

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    So I can anneal stuff in my electric oven then??? How on earth do I do that??
    Errrrrr.......not sure about a leccy oven......

J x