Thread: Advice on constuction of platinum ring

Default Advice on constuction of platinum ring

I have purchased a crossover platinum shank and round platinum rubover setting from cooksons simplicity range.
    As well as soldering/welding together i need to resize smaller to a size J. My questions are 1. Should i weld or solder and if the latter which solder? 2. Should i resize after joining setting to shank?
    Basically how do i go about tackling this? First time working in platinum so any advice would be greatly received.

If you have a welder then weld it, if you don't have a welder you will need more than a propane torch to solder it ( use Platinum solder) and with Platinum it is recommended that you wear appropriately tinted glasses/ goggles/face shield.
    If I were doing it I would resize first and join the two pieces after.

I have a Rothenberger Roxy Kit (oxygen and LPG cylinders) which says gets to 2850 degC. Have appropriate eyewear.
    Do you think weld the resize and then solder the setting?
    Or would it possible to weld both?
    Do i heat all the ring like soldering silver or am i just concentration on join? Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Charlotte81; 30-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Your torch should be fine platinum is ok to just heat the join personally I would do it in two operations

Brilliant. Thank you for your advice.